Feedback units?

• Members

Sabine, Peavey and DBX whats the difference and which model works the best for a foldback system using Yorkville YX15's as floor wedges also need a daul unit one wedge mix is for Roland V drummer the other wedge vocals only I'll be adding more wedges in the future. I mix from the stage and need one that can fix FB on the fly most venues we do are small and crowed stage FB is always a issue. I do have a Peavey 231 w/FLS it helps but still have probs in the past with FB creeping in and hard to adjust the EQ while performing a song and FB creeps in right in the middle of the song. Gimme your input and opinions pros and cons about FB units. Thanks

• Members

Do a quick search on the subject. There were three threads in the last few weeks that were very active.

From what I can tell, feedback units are one of the (many) topics that polarize the people on these forums. There are people that they work for, and people that just hate them.

I'm in the like camp.

• Members

Well I can tell you ... but I also have to tell you that I work for the company that makes it. I have also help develop couple of other feedback units for a my former employer.

Sabine invented the product category and holds the original patents. Everyone else can come close the the patent protects the Sabine method. The Sabine FBX units are the most accurate at finding the center frequency of the feedback to 1 Hz. That means that the filters don't have to go any deeper than necessary. Because of that they employ a very narrow constant Q filters. That means that the filter doesn't get any wider as it goes deeper. That's not the case with the other guys whose filter setting gets close then they widen up to catch the feedback. You don't want to notch anything but feedback and the FBX is simply the best at it.

The biggest difference is that the Sabine FBXs are the best at determining what is feedback and what is music. Other competing units are pretty good at notching feedback in their setup modes but don't work nearly as well during the performance of music and are prone to make mistakes. The low priced leader in the field really doen't do anything else after setup mode so if you've been put off by feedback exterminators that could be why.

Sabine also makes a unit called GRQ which has a 31 band eq (with real physical sliders) a limiter, delay and a crossover in addition to the FBX unit if you want an all in one.

Archived