Looking at the Peavey XR8600...

• Members

Im about to get a new powered head...weve been using the Yamaha EMX 66 thats only 300x300....just not quite enough power for us...plus need a couple more xlr channels really. Done us well up to now though. I was about to get a Mackie 808 but just hear too much negative stuff about it and how its unrealiable...and overpriced...and the power is not really accurate. I hear nothing but good things about the Peavey XR8600..and supposed to be accuarate at 600x600 at 4 ohms. That should be enough power for us in what we would use this for. Anything bigger we almost always have pro sound either supplied.

Just curious on any thoughts on thi device. The only thing I really see I dont like is how it only has two outputs on the back. Guess you would just have to daisy chain the two mains and the two monitors? Any thoughts good or bad about this unit?

• Members

Peavey hs been making those box mixers forever... and for better or worse... most of them are probably still working... even if most of them are just sitting in the backs of people's basements somewhere... as people have either stopped needing them, or moved on to various upgrades, and better circumstances.

Powered mixers make a certain amount of sense on a certain scale... (smaller), because of the conviennce... but there does come a time when the swiss army knife design of putting everything in one box starts to bring me some concern... and maybe it would be time for a user to start thinking about a passive mixing board. I don't really know where that point ought to be for anyone... but the bigger these box mixers get... the closer they are to the line maybe?

That having been said... if in fact I was of a mind to be considering a big powered mixer (even if i don't think that I would be... but IF I was...)... the Peavey would be one that I would consider. I think Allen Heath makes a big one too that I would likewise have to consider... just because Allen Heath also has a good reputation for reliability, and good design.

• Members

I've not heard too much about the Mackie powered units failing, it's their other gear I've had issues with. I used an 808S for years and it rocked the house, then it made for a great (and loud) monitor amp!!.. Really, though, I would recommend the Mackie to anyone, but I'm sure the Peavey is a tank too!

• Members

If you are looking for a bigger sound and you just want a stronger powered mixer the XR8600 is a great choice. I've been using one for about a year now and couldnt be more happy with how it runs. I'd be careful though. If your system is currently a 300x300 system and your mains are triggered for that you may want to make sure that having that much more power wont be too much for your mains. But, again, from personal expirience, the XR8600 is a great powered mixer. We use it with Pr15's as the mains and it works wonderfully...and we usually have plenty of headroom.

• Members

yeah my mains are Harbinger 15's

Power Handling (RMS): 300 Watts

Power Handling (Peak Sine): 600 Watts

Power Handling (Peak Program): 1200 Watts

monitors are 2 JBL JRX 12's

Power Capacity: 250 watts

*Peak Power Capacity: 1000 watts

Recommended Amplifier Power: 250 watts to 500 watts into 8 ohms

then sometimes I use 2 other 12's for monitors for the drummer with an external power amp.

I play mostly in a bluegrass-rock acoustic based band where we run the mains and 2 monitors all off the powered head. then when we play electric I use the same but with the 2 other monitors with external power for the drummer. Anything up to 200 people or so basically. When we play for more than that we always have pro sound. A friend has an JBL powered sub Im going to try soon too. Cant wait to hear that thump! I was going to break down and get the whole rack mount setup...seperate mixer...amp..eq...etc...but I know Ill just wind up noodling with knobs all night versus focusing on playing. Weve been getting by with my Yamaha 300x300 but just need a little more power and channels (for electric). Im decent at running the sound and never really have any feedback problems with the old yamaha powered head after noodling witht the eq in soundcheck.

Any other recomendations before I pull the trigger on one of these?

• Members

wow....I really like that Yorkville. Ive never seen that one. Thanks for the heads up on that unit. Sounds like exactly what I want.

Would that bee too much power for my speakers if I run it in main-main mode? I probably wouldnt do that...for Id be running 2 mains and 2 monitors off it...but was just curious.

• Members

I've owned both the Mackie 808M and now own the Yorkville M1610.

The Mackie is indeed over rated in its specs - we ran out of headroom pretty quickly in smallish rooms (~800 sf or so), and that was using pretty efficient speakers (Yorkville NX350's).

The Yorkville definitely improved this problem and is a solid little unit with some nice features, not the least of which is a very simple gain structure set up. But we had some (lesser) headroom issues with it as well (and were not that loud of a blues/rock band).

Peavey is indeed very honest about their ratings and I would bet the XR8600 would outperform either of these units. I've had no nead for my Yorky other than for reherarsal since we've gone w/ powered speakers, but if I was buying now, I would buy the Peavey XR8600.

Archived