Playing in a reverb nightmare

• Members

We are playing soon for a party in a large quansit hut. Tin walls, cement floor. I'm afraid it's going to be a reverb nightmare.

I did a search for "hanger" but no one really said what to look out for. Will the bass or high end give me more trouble? There won't be a stage (besides a drum riser) so I can't really group our subs in front.

By seperating the subs I'd guess bass will bounce all over, cancelling each other out and turning into a muddy mess? Any suggestions would be really be appreciated.

• Members

If it is as big as a high school gym, both low end and high end are likely to give you trouble. About your only hope is to get as many people in the space as possible and aim the speakers into them, absorbing as much sound as you can before it gets to the walls.

The curved ceiling of a quonset hut is an whole beast unto itself. Curved ceilings tend to focus reflection back down into the space.

Audiopile has coined the phrase "splatterfest" which aptly describes the situation, especially if you have to have a high stage level.

• Members

Live rooms almost always require a serious reduction on bass frequencies and a serious reduction in volume. It won't sound pretty on-stage but my goal has always been the best sound in the audience.

Set up in a tight bundle and avoid the corner. (Especially the drums.) Occasionally it's useful to set up in the middle of the longest wall. Never played in a quansit hut, but I've been in them and they don't sound very good. (Though a quansit hut shaped gym at a High School I played at had acoustic tile all over the ceiling and sounded pretty good.)

Good luck and I'd go with the blankets if possible.

Archived