EV sx300 and midis and stereo-v-mono

• Members

I am thinking of buying some Ev sx300 speakers to play midis+vocals and playing live keyboards...would these speakers be okay for that purpose? playing smallish rooms maybe up to about 150 bodies, and i have the option of running them with some subs....also is it better to run the PA in stereo or mono?

• Members

I am thinking of buying some Ev sx300 speakers to play midis+vocals and playing live keyboards...would these speakers be okay for that purpose? playing smallish rooms maybe up to about 150 bodies, and i have the option of running them with some subs....also is it better to run the PA in stereo or mono?

Looking at their specs, they should get plenty loud for what you want to do and are very lightweight as well. They should reproduce vocals and keyboards very nicely. If you want deeper and higher volume low frequency response however, you will have to add a sub or subs. Whay are you powereing them with? Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

hi al,

thanks for the response..powering with a yamaha p5000s ...running one side to a pair of subs using the inbuilt x-over and the other side to the EV's, or just one channel each from the amp if i am using them by themselves

dennis

• Members

hi al,

thanks for the response..powering with a yamaha p5000s ...running one side to a pair of subs using the inbuilt x-over and the other side to the EV's, or just one channel each from the amp if i am using them by themselves

dennis

What do you have your frequencies set at for the tops and subs?

The built-in crossovers are a great feature of these amps. Be careful at high power though, especially with your tops, because as you might know the P series amps don't have built-in limiters... I had a P5000 for a while and loved it. Lightweight and damn powerful.

If you're just running the EV tops full range, a cutoff in the 60-70 hz range would be a good idea. :thu: Al

• Members

hi al,

i was going to set the x-over to 120 when using the subs, but i will take your advice for the ev's soloand do it at 70...also thanks for the heads up on the limiter, i did not know that!!!

thanks m8,

cheers

dennis

• Members

hi al,

i was going to set the x-over to 120 when using the subs, but i will take your advice for the ev's soloand do it at 70...also thanks for the heads up on the limiter, i did not know that!!!

thanks m8,

cheers

dennis

I suggested 70hz as a cutoff if you are using the EV300s without subs.

If you are using subs, the tops are fine cutoff in the 100-120 hz range with the sub(s) handling everything below that. :):thu: I don't understand why Yamaha hasn't added limiters to their amps yet... Best of luck, Al

Archived