QSC RMX 2450 for Jbl Jrx118s

• Members

Hello, how would this amp do with these subs? I know that the maximum recommended power for these subs are 700@4 ohms, but the amp is 750@4 ohms. Is there a risk in blowing the subs or anything, or will it be just ok as long as I dont push it too hard? Thanks!!

• Members

Let me give you a little insight as to how the marketing world spews utter bull{censored} when it comes to misinformation.

The driver JBL uses is a niuce, mid grade 3"VC unit with an RMS power handling of around 350 watts. Normally, I would recommend somewhere in the 350-500 watt range (at 4 ohms) BUT, I also suggest looking at the powered version to see how JBL's own engineers power it, as I figure it's better doing as they do rather than as they say... or al least worth gaining insight from. So, they power this speaker with a 300 watt RMS (~500 watt PEAK) amplifier since they sure don't want to eat a bunch of warranty damagesince they can't very well blame it on another manufacturer's (or user's) choice of amp.

So with this added information, I suggest to you that the RMX-1450 would be a better choice by far.

• Members

I understand what you said about the JBL Speakers, but the reason I posted this is because I was offered the amp for a really good price, it looks bearly used, in very good shape. Will it work for me with these subs as long as I dont clip it or send to much power to the subs with it?

• CMS Author

I understand what you said about the JBL Speakers, but the reason I posted this is because I was offered the amp for a really good price, it looks bearly used, in very good shape. Will it work for me with these subs as long as I dont clip it or send to much power to the subs with it?

It will work fine, BUT, how will you make sure you don't overpower the subs? No matter how good the deal is, it's not worth the cost of replacing your sub drivers. The attenuators only reduce the input signal to match the gain properly; they don't limit power.

It's really easy to go overboard and use too much power with small subs. You figure you need just a *little* bit more thump, and eventually you damage the driver suspension.

• Members

Is the single 18" sub really only 4 ohms? That's odd.

Yes, it's the "G" version of the driver. This is the cause for a lot of service grief and blown drivers because people wrongly assume it's an 8 ohm driver and unknowingly overpower it. Same applies with the MP and MX single 18 subs, though with a higher rating.

Archived