The Rehearsal Setup

• Members

So I'm wondering what everyone does for rehersal in your individual groups. If you have a steady location do you like to have the mains running all the time like your going to be performing? Recently we've been setting up in a way where everyone can see eachother for better communication during our rehersals. Some people just like to turn their mains around to face the band. Anyone have any origonal or just practical ideas on what they do for practice?

• Members

When we used to practice in a buddy garage turned studio we bought a small used mixer, a 1k watt amp, and 2 single 12" with a horn tops. The only things run through them were the vocals and any instrument without an amp, usually just a keyboard. Set the speakers in the corner of the room and do your best to ring them out. We didn't have a graphic eq or any effects so we were limited, however, I liked it that way because having everything completely dry allowed us to easily hear when something wasn't right and helped us to get tighter.

• Members

We just run a powered mixer with a couple of monitors.Vocals only.

+2 with some enhancements. Our room is ~ 500 sf. This is pretty much our set up - a Yorkville M1610 into two Yorkville E15's in stereo (though not panned so really mono). A couple years ago I bought a couple subs and 2 amps for silly cheap (two EV 1810's and 2 QSC EX1600's for ~$400 total). So we have a rack now with the two amps, dual 15 band EQ and crossover and run the Yorkville into the rack and then into the subs and the mains. Speakers are all powered by the external amps. But really, we don't use the subs much if at all - maybe for some kick support.

• Members

For the summer, we use my garage which is nearly 1,000 sq ft with 12 foot ceiling. It is an active room, so nothing sounds good in there.

For the winter I plan to build a rehearsal room in my house. The space will be 16' x 20' (in my basement) and I will do my best to sound-proof it from the rest of the house. I'll use expanding foam to fill all cracks and use sound insulation in all walls. I've been toying with the idea of installing a wooden floor (2x4's on their side with a 3/4 plywood floor) to warm the sound up a bit. Of course, carpet on the floor and on the walls will be needed too.

I have begun to look for a small used mixer so I don't have to use any gig gear in the rehearsal room. Right now we use Peavey PR10 for monitors, so I'll move those to the rehearsal room, move my FOH speakers into monitor use and purchase new FOH speakers.

We stand as if on-stage in the garage. I'd like a more relaxed "circle" in the rehearsal room.

• Members

We do a semi-circle. Amps face inward, so we all can hear each other. Also we run pretty much everything but the drums through monitors so each can have his own mix. It's loud but not overwhelmingly so, and VERY clear. It's a great room to play in, which contributes to good performance and good rehearsal.

Archived