insane gl2200

• Members

one of the gl2200 mixers i use (i dont own it) has gone insane. i was able to work around the crazy last saturday but it gave me a headache.

the mixer is pretty beat up physically.

things like:

channels that PFL fine but wont route out anywhere until you bring them all the way up - then they slam in, later they turn off again all the while looking like they work.

other channels are 'up' all the time regardless of fader position.

sub 3 - i dont get this - route a working fader out sub 3, channel fader down, sub 3 fader down, output is full volume.

this was not a gradual change. it went form working fine to crazy.

is it worth repairing or should i recommend replacement?

• Members

These are usually signs the board's pots and switches are dirty. I have had the channel PFL find and send nothing to group on mine. Turns out the switch was dirty on the sub channel for muting. Faders that fail to work can be dirty or the ground may be bad (that crops up also fairly often on older boards.)

I don't know what charges that sort of maintenance might add up to since I do my own, but I certainly think most of these issues sound like individually minor things, although enough minor stuff makes a big headache. Buy a can of DeOxit and spend an afternoon before you junk it.

• Members

If you make a mess with Deoxit, and that's not the specific problem, you will have created problems that otherwise wouldn't have existed. I personally do not care to work on mixers that have been sprayed down, the stuff gets all over everything.

I would suggest finding a service shop that can repair it properly.

• Members

trust me i know what deoxit is and it shouldnt be used on this mixer.

it has been my experience when switches/pots are dirty that they tend to make a crackle sound when used and that is not the case here. no crackle.

i had an issue on a mixwiz2 (i dont own this one) that one fader sent full-code regardless of position. the fader was replaced at about $200 and all is well with that mixer even today. this issue with the GL is similar but much, much more serious.

i dont want to mix on that one again until it is fixed or replaced.

it may be time to replace that one with a gl2400 or such.

is it just me or are gl2400's (with similar channel count) physically smaller than the 2200? ive never had the two side by side but the 2400 seems smaller overall.

• Members

There's a long ribbon cable across all the modules to connect everything - with a connector for each channel and output card. After a couple years there can be various weirdness which often clears up by opening the mixer (from the bottom) and just unplugging and replugging all those connectors a couple times. Cleans gunk off the pins.

• Members

Sounds to me like something got spilled into the faders. I'd clean it if it were mine, but wouldn't touch it belonging to someone else.

Maybe some other user got stupid and dumped something in. Sad commentary on some musicians.

Archived