Question: mixer/mic preamp/headphone out

• Members

hi all

not sure if this is the correct place to post about this, but ill give it a try.

im looking for recommendations if there is a product that can suit my needs.

what i need is a compact multi-channel mixer, preferably 8 channels. i need this mixer to have a descent mic preamp so i can run my shure sm56/57 with a nice sound for live applications. also, id like to have a headphones out and be able to click each mixer channel to output into the headphones instead of to the mix, so i can listen to a channel in my headphones before adding it to the live mix. it should be able to play some channels out to the mix and play whichever channels out to my headphones.

please let me know if theres something out there thats compact and what you recommend for me.

thanks in advance!

if you can, i dont check this forum too often, could you send your recommendations to : mk7169 at hotmail dot com

thanks

• Members

Hi,

I am extremely new at this...but I have just purchased and have been using this for one month:

Zoom HD16 multitrac recorder 699.99 at zsounds

Has 16 channel total - records 8 simultaneously

My application is recording a week church band live.....all channels are from the "send" of the P/A mxer (pre-processed)

Works very well, has a ton of insert effects/algorithums....very easy to mix master everything on board - although it does come with cubase, and you can use the consol while it is connected to your pc for mixing as well.

And yes, you can select just the channel you want to listen to through the headphone out

As for the quality of the preamps...I am not qualified to comment on that

Hope this helps,

CM

• Members

so basically there are two outputs, one to the main speakers so everyone can hear, and the other only to your headphones.

and each channel is able to be individually switched between those two outputs .. ?

so for example if i have a bass and drum line outputting to the speakers, and i want to hear what a vocal or guitar sounds like in my headphones before switching it to the live mix output

• Members

You can basically do this on any mixer that has a PFL and a mute switch on the channels - such as http://www.allen-heath.com/US/DisplayProduct.asp?pview=47 - which is a very nice little mixer. When the channel is muted it won't send to the mains, but you can press the PFL (Pre Fader Listen) and put the channel into the headphones. Unmute the channel and it goes to the mains. Is this what you're looking for?

• Members

Actually

All of the sound that people hear is coming from our PA mixer...not the recorder...using two different units allows the versatility that you seem to need. No one is listening to what is selected or recording on my recorder, as the signal is sent out seperately...

Hope that isn't too confusing

CM

Archived