What are my options for WIRED in ear monitor systems?

• Members

Seems to me that I could just tape the cable to my guitar lead and eliminate the need to go wireless. No battieries... no interference... no worrying about new laws and signal space and the like. And I imaging it will be cheaper.

I would what the ability to mix in stereo. Am I on the right track or is there another advantage to wireless that I'm missing?

• Members

I used a wired system for a short time...as a percussionist with conga, bongo, sound and mandolin duties as well, I found the wire pretty restrictive. If you move around much with your guitar, your chord will too...if your head goes the other way at all, there would be a problem...wired didn't work for me.

God bless!

-Ron

• Members

There are batteries... but in general if you are using a plugged in guitar, it's no more restrictive than the guitar cable (at least this is what i've found). I'd look at the shure line, the PSM200 body pack is wireless but can be used hardwired. The higher models come in either wireless or hardwired. Good luck, have fun!

• Members

If you run the cable with your guitar cord, you can just drive them with a little stereo headphone amp sitting atop or next to your guitar amp. In some cases, using custom cables, you can drive them right off the aux out(s) of the mixing console. It would be wise to have a limiter for ear protection. I have used stereo compressors (Behringer Composer, dbx 266xl) as combination limiter/headphone amps.

• Members

If you run the cable with your guitar cord, you can just drive them with a little stereo headphone amp sitting atop or next to your guitar amp. In some cases, using custom cables, you can drive them right off the aux out(s) of the mixing console. It would be wise to have a limiter for ear protection. I have used stereo compressors (Behringer Composer, dbx 266xl) as combination limiter/headphone amps.

I think that it should be noted (and has been a lot of times already) that this is a scary setup and if that dbx 266xl unit fails. is bumped, or the fault occures later in the signal chain, you are in trouble. I'll always recomment using a body pack style headphone amp (like a shure unit). The compressor is as close to your ears in the signal chain as possible and it is built for the purpose of limiting.

• Members

We will definitely spend the money on a bodypack unit. I've been looking at the Shure PSM 600 series. The wireless setup is about $1200... the wired setup is about $500.

The cables that come with the unit are definitely not long enough... can you extend the Y cable? It looks like you would just need standard XLR cables - two of them.

Would it need to run to the aux sends on the board or can it run into a return on the snake?

• Members

We will definitely spend the money on a bodypack unit. I've been looking at the Shure PSM 600 series. The wireless setup is about $1200... the wired setup is about $500.

The cables that come with the unit are definitely not long enough... can you extend the Y cable? It looks like you would just need standard XLR cables - two of them.

Would it need to run to the aux sends on the board or can it run into a return on the snake?

They are standard XLR, so you can use XLR cables to extend them.

As far as your aux question and snake questions. You can do either. However, the "returns" on the snake are basically just XLR cables. Therefore, you use them as such. You could plug an aux send from the board into one of the "returns" on the snake" and then plug the body-pack into the stage side of the snake. Or, you could run a long XLR cable from the aux out on the board all the way to the stage and plug in the body-pack, same exact thing.

-greg

• Members

Furman makes a very good system that does exactly what you want.

The send unit has 4 individual inputs and 2 stereo inputs (presumably for the main output).

Each remote has a main volume (for the stereo input volume), and 4 individual pots for the other 4 inputs. Each remote can drive 2 sets of headphones.

The send unit has limiters to save your ears and ear buds.

The send unit is ~250.00, each remote station is ~125.00.

The send is attached to the remotes by two cat 5 Ethernet cables. Each station can daizy chain connections to other remotes.

I have used this system for years with no issues.

• Members

Whats the model of that Furman?

The remotes are the HR6. The send unit is the HDS6.

On ebay you can pick up the HR6 for ~80.00 while the HDS6 goes for $230.00 as of today's check ;)

You can get the Shure E2 (SCL2, E2C) ear buds for ~$60-70.

So you could outfit a 4 piece band for 670-830.

You should make each member buy their own in-ear's though. They are really nice on air plane flights and listening to iPOD music, so they are really a good deal all the way around. That would limit your liability to only $550 (Plus your own in-ear set).

Wireless is nice; however, I sing and play guitar, so I am stuck in front of my mic stand anyway. The drummer ..... stuck. Wireless isn't such a big deal for these two stations.

This is really cheep if you take into account the money needed for floor wedges, cables and amplifiers for a monitoring system .... and it is much much better.

Good luck!

• 1 year later...
  • Members

sorry, this is an old thread but, newbie here with newbie question...

can i just get something like the presonus hp60 and connect directly my headphones to the headphone outs? say, whether I'm rinning wired or wireless system? also a quick dumb question...still using the presonus hp60, if I needed headphone extension cables (as wired option)and my current earbuds are shure se530 using 3.5 mm jack, would it be wise to get say 35' 3.5mm headphone extension cables or better go with the expensive 1/4 headphone extension cables? (with an adapter of course).

• Members

I am trying to figure out why, with the possibility of going wireless, do people still want to be wired. My first thought for the OP is that every time you put your guitar down you will need to disconnect your ear buds or body pack. No real advantage there unless you simply want to cheap out on the system.

Seems like a lot of people will go to great lengths to Gerry Rig an in ear system and most of those systems do not do much to protect the user from catastrophic hearing damage. Get the right tools for the job and don't save money and risk your hearing. Used PSM200 systems are very reasonable. Look into that instead of piece mealing a potentially dangerous system.

croco, you can go either way (adaptor at the unit and 3.5mm cable going out or 1/4" extention). Most likely, a cheap 3.5mm might introduce more noise then a good 1/4", but a cheap 1/4" can also be noisy. I also don't see that the HP60 (which is made for recording studios) has limiting capabilities. I might be wrong but I wouldn't use any system without some kind of built in protection.

Why wired? I've seen this work for drummers and keyboard players but it's been like watching a comedy of errors when guitarists and singers go wired. I saw one band with a wireless mic and wired in ears for the singer. That struck me as funny. My drummer has the option of wired or wireless and goes strictly wireless.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hi everyone!

I just joined Harmony Central and glad to have found this site!! I thought you might be interested in a system I've developed over the past year. It's a stand-alone headphone amp with limiting (but it can also accept speaker signal - pretty useful for grabbing the parallel out of a passive wedge). I've also been making special cables that will send your guitar signal and receive your mix. You can check it all out at http://www.rockonaudio.com Hope you guys dig it. I'd be happy to get your feedback. thanks!

Archived