Differences between Allen & Heath Mix Wiz WZ/DX,+/WZ3 models?

• Members

Like the title says, I'm debating whether I should buy new, or can perhaps save some $$$ and look into used versions of an Allen & Heath 16:2, or 14:4:2. I'd like to know if anyone can share their opinions on the differences between older and newer versions of these mixers. I plan to use this mixer for recording (into yamaha AW1600) and light PA. My mixer has to be rack-mount and portable, but of very good quality. I realize this is a live sound forum, but many here swear by these mixers and I'd like any experience and insight you can share. I am especially interested in the respective quality of the mic pre amps and eq, but any information would be a great help. If this has been covered already, and you could just point me to the thread, that would be fine. Thanks for reading.

• Members

Off the top of my head the differences between the Mixwiz 2 and 3 (16 channel)

- better preamps (same as the GL series)

- light socket added

- channel strip phantom (global on the older one and it would pop too)

- slimmer design

- another main output added (summed / mono output)

- signal indicators on each channel

- channel on/off buttons reversed in new board (lights up red when muted versus green when "live" on older board)

- other aesthetic changes (round PFL buttons, different LEDs)

- I want to say the direct outputs are now pre-fader, versus post in the older board, but I don't know why I think that. Easy enough to look up in the manual to confirm. This would be important to you if you're going to use it for multitrack recording.(The older board can be converted to pre-fader though but it's an "open up the mixer" kind of thing with hard wired jumpers)

• Members

If the MW is the same channel strip as the GL, they come from the factory with direct outs post-fader. A soldered jumper can change this to pre-fader.

I just consulted the manual (page 13) and the direct outputs have indeed been changed to pre-fader on the new MW3. You can change to post, but it's not explained how this is accomplished. I'm assuming it's an internal jumper. My guess is there's more practical use for pre than post.

Archived