Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Portable PA & the Solo Performer

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm about to place an order with MF. I'll be using this for solo acoustic/guitar gigs. Anything from playing in bars/restaurants/coffee shops/private parties/weddings, etc. Country/Rock/Classic Rock.
    So for cabs I'm ordering so far is a pair of JBL PRX512M's, a pair of speaker stands.
    I'm still up in the air on which mixer to order. I want a small mixer with built-in effects. So I'm down to two: Soundcraft MFX-8 or the Peavey PV10. I realize there is a $269 price difference. Both are backordered right now, both due to be in stock this month. The Soundcraft will probably have better quality effects since it uses lexicon on board. The Peavey has a much better factory warranty and its much cheaper, which means I could use the money I save and buy the Radial JDI direct box.
    Other than that, I'll just order a couple of good XLR cables and some good extension cords for the speakers, and also a case for the mixer.

Any suggestions on the mixer or anything else?
    Anthony

-Gibson Songwriter A/E Guitar
    -Martin DC1E A/E Guitar
    -Alvarez PF90SC A/E Guitar
    -Soundcraft EFX8
    -2 JBL PRX 512M's on stands
    -TC Helicon VSM300XT Personal Monitor
    -Radial JDI Passive Direct Box
    -Whirlwind IMP2 Direct Box
    -Electro Voice ND767A Mic
    -Sure Beta 87C Mic
    -Audio Technica MB4k Condenser
    -Tascam US144 MKII USB Interface

Comment

I bought the new Bose L1 with the T1 tonematch.. Yes its triple your price-range, but before I was always buying new gear and now im happy. I play solo and duo gigs.

If its strictly small coffe shop gigs get one powered speaker JBL eon g2, and a cheap small mixer with some onboard efx. You''ll be under a grand, and can always add a second speaker if you go beyond coffee shop gigs.

You know after taking part in a test gig with a oke:Mackie 808s and two mackies 303s, [all of which were too LARGE for the solo performer] the more I lean towards the portable PA systems like the stage PAS or even the BOSE PAS.

Fingerpicker,
      let us know what you think of your Bose L1 with T1 tone match !!!!

Comment

For what it's worth - the Bose stuff sounds pretty damn good for acoustic guitar and vocals. I've played through the system many times. But if you're going to use keyboards or any kind of backing tracks, you'll be unhappy with the low end. If you don't play keyboards and don't have backing tracks, you'll probably love the Bose.

Which is my way of saying the Bose system sounds good but the low end sucks, even with two bass units.
        ---
        Richard MacLemale
        My Website at www.richardmac.com

Comment

Just found this site and it has been very informative. Anyone have any opinions or experience with SRM450's from Mackie? I play in an acoustic duo, both guitars plugged in direct with two mics for vocals. Will the guitars put out a rich acoustic sound at all or will they just sound sort of tinny? I'm figuring they'll do just fine with the vocals. I appreciate any feedback from anyone who wishes to chime in.

MoM

Comment

There are perhaps some other options in that price range that might be a little better... but in the end, those Mackies would probably work just fine for that... especially if you are getting a good deal on them. Good luck.
            http://www.myspace.com/steverobertband
            Fav. Quote: "Be the change you want to see in the world."

Comment

For what it's worth - the Bose stuff sounds pretty damn good for acoustic guitar and vocals. I've played through the system many times. But if you're going to use keyboards or any kind of backing tracks, you'll be unhappy with the low end. If you don't play keyboards and don't have backing tracks, you'll probably love the Bose.

Which is my way of saying the Bose system sounds good but the low end sucks, even with two bass units.

Acoustic Guitar mag did a review of the Bose L1 recently [http://acousticguitar.com/article/default.aspx?articleid=22619], and from the video [which appears to be done in a recording studio] , it sounds good. I imagine it has an even bigger impact in a wider open space, such as a hall etc. And even though the unit can take more than one musician or instrument at the same time; I do like the part where they say ' Bose recommends that this unit is strictly for the solo musician, and advises that each musician have their own Bose L1'.oke:

Comment

I heartily recommend running instruments through one channel and vox through the other. If you need wide coverage, add a pair of speakers. 15s for the instrument channel and 12s for the vox channel. That way, even if the instruments get slightly fuzzy the vox remain clear.
                In my opinnion...Kustom is crap. But that is strictly MY opinnion.

One thing to add, if you are going to be running keyboard/bass/drums/drum machine through the PA, then I would go with at least 15" 2-way speakers, possibly even a sub. 12" speakers will work, but won't produce a great bass response for those instruments.

"Your own limitations render you incapable of realizing that not everyone is as limited as yourself."

Comment

I heartily recommend running instruments through one channel and vox through the other. If you need wide coverage, add a pair of speakers. 15s for the instrument channel and 12s for the vox channel. That way, even if the instruments get slightly fuzzy the vox remain clear.

That's a really interesting idea, and it's one I have not yet tried. My concern would be coverage - If the 15 is on the floor and the 12 is elevated, then I'm thinking you'd be aiming your keyboard/guitar/backing tracks and people's knees. Of course, the way I'm doing it NOW, that's pretty much what I'm doing, but with everything going through the 15 on the floor and the 12 elevated, at least the high end from the instruments is directed properly. If I elevated the 15 too, that would probably work, but space would be a problem.

I think I might try out your idea anyway, though... See what it sounds like.
                  ---
                  Richard MacLemale

Comment

And when that day comes, I'll buy the Yamaha mixer/amp combo.

I know you Vigirously support any unit that has a decent 'Low-End',.....what is the Yamaha mixer/amp combo, that you refer to ?

Comment

Just a note about the Low-End on the Bose...

Using two gives me more than enough Bass for my acoustic projects. You will need to experiment where you place those little subs. Putting against the wall long ways increases the bass in many situations.

Also I heard a band using three Bose poles. They were LOUD! I was surprised because I hadn't heard several poles used at once. The only complaint was the Bass Player didn't have the Thump I like to hear from a rock band. Could be alot of factors though.

Comment

One observation....in reading review of several makes of Mixers, it appears that the SPX digital effects that come with the latest Powered Mixers ; [such as reverb, echo,chorus, flanger, phaser and even distortion) are not held in any high esteem.

Here is what one person had to say:

"The built in effects arent very good at all. They sound extreemly weak / cheap and you really need to do some adjusting to get anything out of um. We actually use the Kareoke Echo because the others dont make much of an impact."

Was that a reference to the SPX digital effects? !!!! ?

Comment

One observation....in reading review of several makes of Mixers, it appears that the SPX digital effects that come with the latest Powered Mixers ; [such as reverb, echo,chorus, flanger, phaser and even distortion) are not held in any high esteem.

Here is what one person had to say:

Was that a reference to the SPX digital effects? !!!! ?

That hasn't been my experience at all. I think the effects are quite good for anything in that class of product.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Agreed.
                            That hasn't been my experience at all. I think the effects are quite good for anything in that class of product.

Life is about managing expectations. Of course a dedicated reverb unit that costs $1200 will likely sound better than the 'verb built into a $400 mixer/amp. But that does not mean the reverb in the mixer sucks. Cheap gear today often produces better sound than expensive gear of yesteryear.

"Your own limitations render you incapable of realizing that not everyone is as limited as yourself."

Comment

Just found this site and it has been very informative. Anyone have any opinions or experience with SRM450's from Mackie? I play in an acoustic duo, both guitars plugged in direct with two mics for vocals. Will the guitars put out a rich acoustic sound at all or will they just sound sort of tinny? I'm figuring they'll do just fine with the vocals. I appreciate any feedback from anyone who wishes to chime in.

MoM

I run a keyboard though one as an amp. It sounds great.

Comment

I know you Vigirously support any unit that has a decent 'Low-End',.....what is the Yamaha mixer/amp combo, that you refer to ?

Ah! I actually bought one this past weekend. I bought the Yamaha EMX 312MG (That's off the top of my head - I think that's the model.)

It's 300 wpc into 4 ohms (stereo) and it has compression on the first 4 channels. Weighs like 20 pounds or so - I'm VERY happy with it. Sounds just as good as my Mackie rack mount power amp did but weighs a hell of a lot less. Instead of dragging around the heavy Mackie and the 12 ch Yamaha board I had, I now take the 312 around and it's a joy. And for big gigs, I can use it to power monitors or I can use it and my Mackie to drive my 4 speakers if I need to slay people with volume. The 312 is way more than enough power for a coffee house gig, and would probably be ok for a small outdoor gig, but if I need more volume, like I said, I can use the Mackie too.

I highly recommend the EMX series. Sounds great, does not weigh a lot, compression works great.
                                ---
                                Richard MacLemale

Comment

Working...
                                X