Thoughts/opinions on Peavey's SP 118s...

• Members

I've heard them at a couple shows, and I was impressed with what they could do. I was amazed at what these people got out of just 2 sp118s.

Well, they're really large, heavy speakers - and IMO, Black Widows are pretty good speakers...

- georgestrings

• Members

... I just picked up a pair of them pretty cheap last week, and was wondering what everyone thought about them...

- georgestrings

I believe that among the manufacturers out there, Peavey products represent very solid value for the money. The Sp line is a mid level product that brings a lot to the table.

That Sub is only 84lbs and is not outlandish in size. It performs well and as long as you understand that it is not a Double 18 Box, (and your expectations reflect that), I am sure that it will last a very long time driven at sane levels.

Lesser regarded products such as Peavey, while not thought of along with the JBL's, EAW's and EV's of the world will last for years performing yeoman chores with few complaints or problems. I have a pair of subs that I designed arround BW's that is over twenty years old.

In that regard as a respectable great sounding workhorse, they stand head and shoulders over the groups of products that share their Marketplace.

And if you nicked em for a great price...all the power to you!;)

• Members

I believe that among the manufacturers out there, Peavey products represent very solid value for the money. The Sp line is a mid level product that brings a lot to the table.

That Sub is only 84lbs and is not outlandish in size. It performs well and as long as you understand that it is not a Double 18 Box, (and your expectations reflect that), I am sure that it will last a very long time driven at sane levels.

Lesser regarded products such as Peavey, while not thought of along with the JBL's, EAW's and EV's of the world will last for years performing yeoman chores with few complaints or problems. I have a pair of subs that I designed arround BW's that is over twenty years old.

In that regard as a respectable great sounding workhorse, they stand head and shoulders over the groups of products that share their Marketplace.

And if you nicked em for a great price...all the power to you!
;)

I don't know about that, bro - I must have an older version than you're referring to - these are 33"(H)x21"(W)x30"(D), and weigh 100lbs - I think they're less than 4 years old though, and are in really nice shape... I bought them from a friend, and he rebasketed them and has only done 3 shows with them since that - and he knows how to run a PA without destroying it, so they haven't been abused... I only paid $220 for the pair of them - so yeah, I'd say that was pretty cheap, since they probably went for $500 each when new...

The rest of your post I totally agree with...

- georgestrings

• Members

I don't know about that, bro - I must have an older version than you're referring to - these are 33"(H)x21"(W)x30"(D), and weigh 100lbs - I think they're less than 4 years old though, and are in really nice shape... I bought them from a friend, and he rebasketed them and has only done 3 shows with them since that - and he knows how to run a PA without destroying it, so they haven't been abused... I only paid $220 for the pair of them - so yeah, I'd say that was pretty cheap, since they probably went for $500 each when new...

The rest of your post I totally agree with...

- georgestrings

Turns out that on the website there are two different Sp118 subs.

One is larger as you mentioned and weighs 107 lbs the other is smaller and is 84 lbs as I said.

Who Knew?

• Members

There are at least three versions. I have an early version that is about 34x24x20. They are very smooth with no peaks and an actual measured by me -3 db down point of 46. In a small club with a set of SP2Gs stacked on top and crossed at 100 @ 18 db per oct you couldn't ask for more. When I need bigger there's the Yorkvilles then the JBLs then the EAWs, in that order, Paul.

• Members

If the condition is as you've said then "yea you got a great deal". The drivers are probably worth more than that.

Yup - they sure are, and it sure was a great deal, IMO... I believe he paid atleast $200 for the recently replaced 18" baskets... He's somewhat of an impulse buyer, and really wanted some new lights for a show this weekend - so he only asked for enough cash to cover the lights - and I couldn't pony it up quick enough...

- georgestrings

• Members

Turns out that on the website there are two different Sp118 subs.

One is larger as you mentioned and weighs 107 lbs the other is smaller and is 84 lbs as I said.

Who Knew?

Yeah, I've got the bigger, heavier ones - oh well, I'm buying a handtruck before the next gig... One thing I liked about these - they've got the base/pipe setup on the top for raising a pair of tops with a pole... I think that'll work out really well for me, once I get the matching bases for my tops...

- georgestrings

• Members

There are at least three versions. I have an early version that is about 34x24x20. They are very smooth with no peaks and an actual measured by me -3 db down point of 46. In a small club with a set of SP2Gs stacked on top and crossed at 100 @ 18 db per oct you couldn't ask for more. When I need bigger there's the Yorkvilles then the JBLs then the EAWs, in that order, Paul.

Yeah, I've heard these firsthand, and they sounded pretty good to my ear... A close friend has a pair of the JBL 218 subs, and we made an agreement that he can borrow my 118s when they're more suited to a particular gig, and I can borrow his 218s if I need more subs... So, I'm pretty much covered, without having to tie up that much money or space...

- georgestrings

• Members

Yeah, I've heard these firsthand, and they sounded pretty good to my ear... A close friend has a pair of the JBL 218 subs, and we made an agreement that he can borrow my 118s when they're more suited to a particular gig, and I can borrow his 218s if I need more subs... So, I'm pretty much covered, without having to tie up that much money or space...

- georgestrings

Sort of like sub sharing (if it doesn't get double booked, it sounds like a pretty good agreement).

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Do you set the tops directly on the subs or use a pole?

• Members

I have one that I only use in the summertime, and it's fine for my purposes. The only crazy thing about it is the handle that is directly over the wheels. It would be a lot handier if it was on the opposite end of the cabinet so that I could reach over and tip it up on the wheels.

• 4 months later...

Archived