Yorkville LS800P sub... dead?

• Members

Last weekend one of our LS800P subs went dead. During soundcheck we couldn't get any sound from the sub, although the HF it did pass through the crossover in the sub to the EF500P connected on top. We've had these subs since November 2005 and they've worked flawlessly. Any quick guesses before we send this out for repairs?

• Members

Assuming you saw a power light on the sub,which hopefully rules out a power problem, did you check the input level switch? Maybe it was set to speaker level in? Sub level control was up?

No clipping or protect indicators glowing, right?

Thats about all I can think of

• Members

I've blown the drivers in a pair of LS800P's, and I believe they were manufactured at roughly the same time as yours.

If the amp still powers up, check the driver to make sure it's still functioning correctly. That is, assuming it's not one of the previously mentioned easy fixes. ;)

If the driver is bad, you can either replace it or have it reconed. It will be an easy fix, but not necessarily cheap. If the amp is the problem, I guess you'd probably be best sending it back to Yorkville for repair. In either case, don't ship the whole cabinet, only the part that's not working.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a pair of these LS800Ps. They are about a year old. Both recently went dead similar to what is described. I found the positive (red) side wires from the speaker to the connector separated on both units' speakers. I do not know but suspect the following cause:

County fair provided one power drop 110-120V@20amps on a drop at least 50 feet long. They put two beer coolers on the same circuit as the band, and then tried to plug in several plasma screen TVs. Predictably, the power went down, but it came back on.

My rig was protected by a Furman overvoltage protection unit. Unfortunately, I had a dbx Driverack PA feeding the Mackie SA1530z and Yorkville LS800Ps. Even though the power did not take out the amps, I am guessing that some data came through that dbx unit and pulsed the hell out of my subs below 100Hz.

Yorkville is giving me no grief about replacing the speakers and it looks like a turnaround of less than two weeks after telling them what I need. My Peavey subs by way of comparison, run less than twenty hours between failures, and usually six months to a year to get repaired under warranty. I just got one back a couple weeks ago after more than a year at Music Mikes being repaired. It lasted one hour before it popped. Never run them as high as unity, and never push them out of the board at more than unity.

I love the Yorkvilles and will never use Peavey junk again in anything but a non-critical application.

• Members

Samitchell,

First let me say that i love my LS800P. Enough to get another soon!

But, let me also say that i have to take issue with your broad-sweeping generalization of Peavey subs. I have seen many peavey subs play at bars for years without issue, so i suspect something else is going on. What subs do you have? How are they powered? I'm not doubting your experiences, just taking issue with a broad generalization about a manufacturer that i've seen to be pretty darn good at making reliable products.

• CMS Author

And the comments about service really make me question what's going on there. The one time I had a warranty service issue with Peavey gear, I shipped the item to Peavey, and had it back working perfectly in 3 weeks. Counting the 11 days used for shipping, they turned it around damned quickly.

Then we move on to the "never run them as high as unity" comments. What does the 0dB mark have to do with how hard you're driving a speaker? You could be at -20 on the mixer and still driving the snot out of your subs.

Please learn how to set up a system before you trash-talk a company's products.

• Members

I have a pair of these LS800Ps. They are about a year old. Both recently went dead similar to what is described. I found the positive (red) side wires from the speaker to the connector separated on both units' speakers. I do not know but suspect the following cause:

County fair provided one power drop 110-120V@20amps on a drop at least 50 feet long. They put two beer coolers on the same circuit as the band, and then tried to plug in several plasma screen TVs. Predictably, the power went down, but it came back on.

My rig was protected by a Furman overvoltage protection unit. Unfortunately, I had a dbx Driverack PA feeding the Mackie SA1530z and Yorkville LS800Ps. Even though the power did not take out the amps, I am guessing that some data came through that dbx unit and pulsed the hell out of my subs below 100Hz.

Yorkville is giving me no grief about replacing the speakers and it looks like a turnaround of less than two weeks after telling them what I need. My Peavey subs by way of comparison, run less than twenty hours between failures, and usually six months to a year to get repaired under warranty. I just got one back a couple weeks ago after more than a year at Music Mikes being repaired. It lasted one hour before it popped. Never run them as high as unity, and never push them out of the board at more than unity.

I love the Yorkvilles and will never use Peavey junk again in anything but a non-critical application.

This post is clueless.

• Members

My Peavey subs by way of comparison, run less than twenty hours between failures, and usually six months to a year to get repaired under warranty. I just got one back a couple weeks ago after more than a year at Music Mikes being repaired. It lasted one hour before it popped. Never run them as high as unity, and never push them out of the board at more than unity.

Never run them as high as unit and never push them out of the board at more than unity.... unity on what?? What speakers are you running? What amp are you running? What volume are you running them at? What signal are you running to them and are you using high pass and low pass filters?

Even if I got a cheap peavey sub I would expect it to work within its limitations for at least 10 and probably 20 years, it sounds like you are doing something seriously wrong, or Music Mike is (whoever that is).

Archived