Best LIGHTWEIGHT PA

• Members

I've seen a lot of posts on the best cheap, best big room, best small venue, etc., but what's the deal on the best LIGHTWEIGHT and PORTABLE PA?

We're tired of shlepping weight. (Does anyone have any experience with the BOSE systems?)

Just looking for something with good to better quality that's going to be easier to move around.

More info:

Under $3K would be nice.

Vocals mostly (4) (occasional acoustic guitar)

A complete system w/o assembling pieces and parts would be best.

Keep it simple.

Medium venue.

Thanks for any help and even for your opinions.

• Members

I've seen a lot of posts on the best cheap, best big room, best small venue, etc., but what's the deal on the best LIGHTWEIGHT and PORTABLE PA?

We're tired of shlepping weight. (Does anyone have any experience with the BOSE systems?)

Just looking for something with good to better quality that's going to be easier to move around.

More info:

Under $3K would be nice.

Keep it simple.

Medium venue.

How big is a medium venue?

• Members

JBL PRX (powered) or MRX (unpowered) is certainly a speaker consider, there are others if you are out of the US, but for lightweight and good performance it's tough to beat. With the PRX speakers, all would need to add is a suitable mixer.

• Members

JBL PRX (powered) or MRX (unpowered) is certainly a speaker consider, there are others if you are out of the US, but for lightweight and good performance it's tough to beat. With the PRX speakers, all would need to add is a suitable mixer.

+1 I'm getting ready to order some MRX speakers for my system. The 12" only weighs 33lbs.

• Members

Forget Bose if you're looking to spend under $3k. Just one of the L1 systems is around $2.5k and you need one per musician/vocalist.

Try this mixer:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-12INPUT-STEREO-MIXER-WITH-DIGITAL-EFFECTS?sku=630142

With 4 of these (2 main, 2 monitor):

http://www.rmcaudio.com/rcf/art310a.htm

With something like this tossed in the mix:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/dbx-231-Dual-31Band-Graphic-EQ?sku=183527

• Members

I'd suggest a pair of EV's SB2A active subs

Sb122_front_large.jpg

The new Electro-Voice SB2A powered 12-inch subwoofer eliminates the need for external system processing and amplification, addressing the demand for lightweight high performance portable sound systems.

Featuring dual 350 watt amplifiers, the SB2A

• Members

Does the SB2As power the SX300s eg. one SB2A for each of the SX300s. So you would need 2 of each.

And does the SB2A have a slot on the top to insert a speaker pole so you can mount an SX300 on top, would this be stable enough.

I'd suggest a pair of EV's SB2A active subs

Sb122_front_large.jpg

The new Electro-Voice SB2A powered 12-inch subwoofer eliminates the need for external system processing and amplification, addressing the demand for lightweight high performance portable sound systems.

Featuring dual 350 watt amplifiers, the SB2A

• Members

We have a pair of the SB2As in our rehearsal room. They're decent for what they are, but they're not really substantial enough to use for a typical band in a typical club. Four vocals and acoustic guitar don't need a sub anyway. The OP would be better with some smaller powered speakers like the NX55Ps for the house, NX25Ps for monitors and an 8 channel mixer, IMHO.

• Members
We have a pair of the SB2As in our rehearsal room. They're decent for what they are, but they're not really substantial enough to use for a typical band in a typical club. Four vocals and acoustic guitar don't need a sub anyway. The OP would be better with some smaller powered speakers like the NX55Ps for the house, NX25Ps for monitors and an 8 channel mixer, IMHO.

Totally correct. Not much there for a typical rock band, and the OP doesn't really need subs anyway for their stuff.

• Members
Would they be any good for a one man band using guitar and tracks in venues covering 30 to 200 people. Once again do the bottoms have a slot for to insert speaker poles to hold the tops. Would this be stable

Yes, they could be a very good or a very bad choice depending on what you play and your requirements. One or two might be fine for the smallest venues mentioned and four might not be enough for the largest.

• Members

Would they be any good for a one man band using guitar and tracks in venues covering 30 to 200 people. Once again do the bottoms have a slot for to insert speaker poles to hold the tops. Would this be stable

Honestly again, I doubt that application would call for subs. You'd be better spending your money on better quality powered 12s or 15s. You really only need subs if you want to get the floor shaking, which isn't typically the case with a one man show.

• Members

Honestly again, I doubt that application would call for subs. You'd be better spending your money on better quality powered 12s or 15s. You really only need subs if you want to get the floor shaking, which isn't typically the case with a one man show.

I have demo'ed a few powered speakers and I am just leaving the QSCs 122 back after having them for the weekend. Brilliant vocal speakers the best I have tried bit weak on the low ends but I have done my back in trying to get them up on the stands, they would be hard to beat if you where lookin a good vocal sound which I am but the weight factor is a no go.

My next venture is the JBL PRX to try out but over here I can't get my hands on a pair to try out

• CMS Author

More info:

Under $3K would be nice.

Keep it simple.

Medium venue.

Taking the Bose tack, two L1's and a B1 would run $3,600 and easily cover your needs.

A pair of JBL PRX powered speakers and a small mixer with effects would also give you a relatively small system. If you need monitoring, you may have some extra work to get that...this is one big advantage with the Bose PAS.

• Members

Couple of Yorkville NX55P's. If budget allows, then the JBL PRX series. Add a small mixer with built in effects (Peavey, Yamaha, Soundcraft, Allen & Heath) and an EQ and you're done.

If you need monitors too, then you're pretty much headed for used land with your budget and have to keep an open mind on brand and "powered versus non-powered" unless can wait for what you're looking for to come around.

• Members

Taking the Bose tack, two L1's and a B1 would run $3,600 and easily cover your needs.

A pair of JBL PRX powered speakers and a small mixer with effects would also give you a relatively small system. If you need monitoring, you may have some extra work to get that...this is one big advantage with the Bose PAS.

+1 an alternative would be a pair of RCf 522a powered cabinets. Check with Mike Pyle at Audiopyle.com for aggressive pricing. I think the RCF's are louder and smoother than the PRX's...but the JBL name might illicit more of a "your gear rawwwks!" response from some of the audience.:)

• Members

I appreciate everyone's input.

Craigv: the $3K was an ideal number. $4K works, too. If $3600 makes it lightweight, I thank you and my back thanks you too.

But, how's the sound?

Archived