Crest powered sub LQ15SP

• Members

Anybody have any experience or thoughts with this powered sub?

http://www.crest-performance.com/press/index.cfm/action/view/id/3/20041501.cfm

Crest Performance, a division of Crest Audio, proudly introduces the LQ 15PSW powered subwoofer, designed for superior sound and performance and geared for mid-level to high-end sound reinforcement applications, including houses of worship and live music performances.

Flexibility is one of this subwoofer's greatest assets. It can be used strictly as a powered subwoofer or, due to its built-in electronic crossover filtering and high pass, line-level output, it can also drive powered speakers while simultaneously driving left and right passive speakers out of the left and right output jacks. In subwoofer-only mode, its peak output power is 1500 Watts (1000 Watts continuous). When the left-and-right stereo amplifier is utilized, the peak power is 325 Watts per channel or 750 Watts total.

Engaging the exclusive, built-in CPS

• Members

I'm pretty sure it's the same as this (without the tops + a few other modifications) :

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/114369/number/18000900/cat/75/begin/1/Triflex.cfm

Looks like a good quality sub overall, but a little heavy.

Peavey and Crest have collaborated on a few speakers if I'm not mistaken. They used to have a PVDJ molded speaker that looked identical to Crest audio's molded speakers...

Al

• Members

I'm pretty sure it's the same as this (without the tops + a few other modifications) :

Looks like a good quality sub overall, but a little heavy.

Peavey and Crest have collaborated on a few speakers if I'm not mistaken. They used to have a PVDJ molded speaker that looked identical to Crest audio's molded speakers...

Al

Doesn't B-52 also make something like that? (Matrix I think) I'm not sure how good they are though, I've just seen them on display at my local GC.

• Members

Doesn't B-52 also make something like that? (Matrix I think) I'm not sure how good they are though, I've just seen them on display at my local GC.

Yep. Matrix 1000 and 2000. Similar, I guess to the Peavey/Crest - but less power and less quality. The 1000 gets plenty of praise over on DJForums - but it is one of the only OK performing all-in-one systems at 1000$...which is the main thing that makes them attractive - especially to beginning DJs. And since these guys have very little basis for comparison, the Matrix sounds amazing to them. To be fair, I haven't heard them, so can't really comment...

Al

• Members

I heard one at my local music store. It sounded pretty good. A few months later I saw the band that bought it playing a local bar. The first set I was totally uninpressed. No punch at all. Talked to the band on the break and they realized they hadn't turned it on! Oops. Second set sounded much better. They were using some actiuve Mackie 3-ways for tops and the one sub had no problem keeping up. I know the band was happy with them.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Came across this only now, thought I would put my 2cents in.

I have owned a pair of these LQ15SPs for about 5 years now. LOVE THEM.

Peavey bought Crest a few years ago, these use Peavey drivers. I have had to replace one of the baskets, and thanks to the Peavey way of doing things, it can be done by anybody. When the time comes I might replace the drivers with something else, but I have put these thru high-SPL situations and the internal spkr protection has served me well!

They only made these for 1 year I believe. I think there are some design flaws that caused too many issues, but they are easy to work around.

I bought them in a blow-out sale off ebay, when I picked them up the dealer handed me very expensive caster wheels to replace the cheaper ones on there. THat was my clue to the design flaws...

All the controls and patching are on the bottom when wheeling these things around (100 pounds, BTW). With cheap casters and lack of care, it's very easy to damage the bottom! With the better casters, lots of care moving them, and homemade velcro+chipboard panel covers, problem solved!

I have done *hundreds* of gigs with one or two of these, and I love them. Why do I LOVE my LQ15SPs? You can power 1 or 2 tops (in full stereo)! I never used them in stand alone mode; smaller gigs I would bring 1 and power 2 tops (a pair of EV Sx200 or JBL Eon 1500); bigger gigs I would bring 2, each powering 1 top. The specs are:

Standalone (no tops): 1,000 peavey-watts (about 700 real watts)

Powering 1 top: 500w sub, 500 top

Powering 2 tops: 500w sub, 250+250 on top

These are real, ballsy subs (not insipid 10-inch wannabe's), extremely versatile, and if you respect the minor design flaws, they will last you a long time. Can't say enough good stuff about 'em. I hope to be using them for hundreds more shows.

email me if you want more info phart @ rogers dot com

Archived