Any quad-gate bargains? ...

• Members

I've noticed alot of FOH racks with the only piece of Behringer gear being a quad-gate ... unfortunately, dbx's (1074) is out of budget, what are thoughts on the Behr's gates? I looked for the model online but after research couldn't remember if I've seen alot of the XR4400 or the MDX4600 (quad-comp/gate) since they look similiar ... I think everyone knows someone that uses 1 ;) ....

Only thing I can remember is that sometimes you may lose a channel on them ... not a big problem, I can work around it and they're cheap enough that I could even get a back-up. :thu:

• Members

ZZounds has factory resealed DBX 266XL's for $119. It's 2 gates and not 4, but it's also some decent compression. The compresstion not as transparent as their higher priced units, but respectable and perfect for live applications. The gates aren't frequency modulated, but they are adjustable as far as how much gets through when closed. This is nice to avoid a "chatter" you'll get from gates slamming shut and then flying wide open. Anyway, here's the link - http://www.zzounds.com/item--DBX266XL

• Members

My MDX4600 works just fine, I don't use it often for the type of music I do. It was given to me a while back.

But it's been dependable for the past three years. I can usually work around this unit, but if needed - I "insert" it.

• Members

I had an XR4400 for a couple of years that worked fine and never gave me any trouble. Sounded pretty good too. I ended up selling it to one of my keyboard players when I had a gear clear-out, and he still uses it to this day. That said, I use a Samson quad gate at church that I think sounds a little clearer (and was only slightly more expensive)

• Members

I've noticed alot of FOH racks with the only piece of Behringer gear being a quad-gate ... unfortunately, dbx's (1074) is out of budget, what are thoughts on the Behr's gates? I looked for the model online but after research couldn't remember if I've seen alot of the XR4400 or the MDX4600 (quad-comp/gate) since they look similiar ... I think everyone knows someone that uses 1
;)

Only thing I can remember is that sometimes you may lose a channel on them ... not a big problem, I can work around it and they're cheap enough that I could even get a back-up.
:thu:

What your application for a quad gate? if it's for ringing toms try some dead ringers, duct tape, stick on felt. Way cheaper then a quad gate. :idea:

• Members
What your application for a quad gate? if it's for ringing toms try some dead ringers, duct tape, stick on felt. Way cheaper then a quad gate.
:idea:

But if your doing sound for others, you'll no doubt run into resistance of doing anything to their drum heads.... & in most cases rightly so.

• Members

ZZounds has factory resealed DBX 266XL's for $119. It's 2 gates and not 4, but it's also some decent compression

Just tryin to save some rack space with a quad-gate where I don't need comp.

Do you really need a gate

Yes, they can be useful IMO

or would you be better off improving other things including your approach first?

Instead of a gate the alternative is? Unmuting channels at the point in a song I think they will be used? ?

I've got a Behringer XR4400 in my rack that has worked flawlessly for about three years now. I actually prefer it over the gates on my ACP-88 & it works every bit as good as the DBX1074.

I had an XR4400 for a couple of years that worked fine and never gave me any trouble. Sounded pretty good too. I ended up selling it to one of my keyboard players when I had a gear clear-out, and he still uses it to this day. That said, I use a Samson quad gate at church that I think sounds a little clearer (and was only slightly more expensive)

Thanks for the useful info, think I may order one to try it out ... I've seen a couple ACP88s but never got any opinions on them.

What your application for a quad gate? if it's for ringing toms try some dead ringers, duct tape, stick on felt. Way cheaper then a quad gate.

But if your doing sound for others, you'll no doubt run into resistance of doing anything to their drum heads.... & in most cases rightly so.

Exactly, unfortunately there seem to more bad sounding drum kits than good ones, some I see are even in serious need of new heads, good tuning, etc. ... worked a show last night and 1 drummer even asked the soundman for a drum key! Funny thing is, I keep one in my rack drawer.

• Members

Instead of a gate the alternative is? Unmuting channels at the point in a song I think they will be used? ?

As I suspected...

If this is how you plan on using the gate, you may find that the alternatives such as unmuting channels is a far superior alternnative. I think you will find this does not work all that well on open mics, and if you plan on using a gate on a line input, why bother? When a signal appears, great, no signal no problem either.

• Members

I've noticed alot of FOH racks with the only piece of Behringer gear being a quad-gate ... unfortunately, dbx's (1074) is out of budget, what are thoughts on the Behr's gates? I looked for the model online but after research couldn't remember if I've seen alot of the XR4400 or the MDX4600 (quad-comp/gate) since they look similiar ... I think everyone knows someone that uses 1
;)

Only thing I can remember is that sometimes you may lose a channel on them ... not a big problem, I can work around it and they're cheap enough that I could even get a back-up.
:thu:

Well, I used 2 Behringer Multigates for about five years. I take my rig out at least 3 times a week. I do anything from praise and worship to death metal. I used these Multigates on drums, mostly.

About four months ago, one of them started making some noise I couldn't live with. I almost bought another one but I decided to get a Presonus ACP88 to please those who hear with their eyes :mad:. There were some jobs I didn't get because I had 3 Behringer pieces (2 Multigates and 1 Multicom Pro) in my effects rack. Oh well...

Well, I don't like the gate section on the ACP88. THERE'S NO "HOLD" FUNCTION! I really like the control I had with the Behringer Multigate. Those Multigates (and the rest of my gear) sat in the driveway (in my van) all year around in the ever changing weather of Indiana, they've survived some beer splashes and they've really been USED, and I've gotta say - if I didn't have to consider the NAME BRAND GAME issue I would've just replaced them with the Behringer units...

Have you heard of the Alto CLE8.0 8 channel compressor/gate?

http://directproaudio.com/product.cfm?directid=13524

I used one at this club I was the house engineer at for a year and a half. I don't like how it's laid out, it's a bit ugly looking, but it works just fine. If you can wait and save a bit more, check it out. 8 channels for $479.00! PM me if you have any questions. I'd be glad to help you in any way. Many here on this forum have sure helped me...

• Members

I typically use gates as a last resort tool if I absolutely can't get drums to sound good with the proper gain structure and EQ, but +1 for the Aphex 105 as a great budget gate.

I think he's planning on using the gates to turn inputs on and off. Not specifically for drums.

• Members

I was being sarcastic ... I know what a gate does, I know there have been cases where 1 would have been handy, and I know Behr. quads are common (I see them in many FOH racks next to quality gear) so I thought they might be worth $100. I was simply asking if there were any better (or other) bargains on the market .... :confused:

I typically use gates as a last resort tool if I absolutely can't get drums to sound good with the proper gain structure and EQ, but +1 for the Aphex 105 as a great budget gate.

Precisely ... usually don't have much problem, sometimes do.

• Members

I was being sarcastic ... I know what a gate does, I know there have been cases where 1 would have been handy, and I know Behr. quads are common (I see them in many FOH racks next to quality gear) so I thought they might be worth $100. I was simply asking if there were any better (or other) bargains on the market ....
:confused:

Precisely ... usually don't have much problem, sometimes do.

I think you'll be more than happy w/ the XR4400. It serves its purpose at a very reasonable price point, and as I've said.....I prefer it to my ACP-88 & it performs every bit as well as the DBX1074 that is in the rack of another company I do some work for. Is it a Drawmer201 or RaneG4......NO, but it's pretty damn good for what it is & at its price point............it's an incredible value.

Good Luck

• Members

I was being sarcastic ... I know what a gate does, I know there have been cases where 1 would have been handy, and I know Behr. quads are common (I see them in many FOH racks next to quality gear) so I thought they might be worth $100. I was simply asking if there were any better (or other) bargains on the market ....
:confused:

There have been plenty of threads asking to use a gate to turn an input on and off... usually a vocal mic. That's why my response was as it was.

Archived