Al's Yorkville E10P review

• Members

Hello friends,

What a magnificent long weekend it has been. :) I had been waiting for my E10Ps to come in for almost a month, when I finally got the call on Thursday that they were in. I couldn't have been happier, since I was leaving for Manitoulin Island on Friday morning! I had the chance to test one of these mighty munchkins out in the beautiful canadian wilderness (my camp) where my family and I spent the long weekend for thanksgiving. A beautiful, colourful, sunny four days. It was like heaven on earth. Magnificent. Having an E10P to test out was the icing on the cake - or pumpkin pie I sould say. :thu: Anyway, the review will be in my next post.... :)

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

Hey Al, you must be Jay's dad, right?

I've heard a lot about you and your gear. I can't believe there's stuff like that in Sudbury!

I'm Luke, soundman at The Townehouse and other places. I love when Apparatus plays and get to use them sweet toys!

I was born and raised on Manitoulin!

• Members

Description

The newest member in Yorville's Elite line, the E10P is a 350 watt powered 10'' + 1'' speaker. Weighing in at 35 lbs and with as small a footprint as you can imagine in a professional powered speaker, the E10P will be welcomed by those limited in space looking for a high output, high performance powered speaker. Looking at the specs and especially the price of the E10P, I was expecting some serious performance from this cabinet, and suffice it to say I was not disapointed....As with all Yorkville speakers, the E10P comes with Yorkville's famous 2 year ''Even if you break it'' warranty.

Connections + features

On the back of the unit, you will find the typical powered speaker connections and controls : XLR in and (thru) out, power switch, gain control as well as limit and clip indicators. You will also find a few non-typical functions : a live and music (playback) setting that affect the boosted and cut frequecies on the HF and LF controls, as well as HF and LF controls with an 18db + or - range. What is interesting about the sound settings is that the limiters are also affected by the selection of live or music playback.

In live mode, there are independant limiters for the horn and woofer while in music mode one limiter protects both horn and woofer. The advantages to this is that in a live sound situation, the horn will be able to produce more sound even if the woofer is at its maximum output - a good thing to make sure vocals cut through as much as possible. In music playback, having one limiter control both horn and woofer will assure the speaker isn't all highs and mids at maximum output... This is especially beneficial if the E10P is being used stand alone without subwoofer reinforcement. Finally, a 100hz HP switch can be activated when the E10P is used with a sub or subs. An interesting side note : the horn on the E10P appears to be an upgraded one (compared to the passive E10) with twice the power handling. The E10P is also crossed over at 1500hz as opposed to 2900hz on the passive E10.

In testing

As soon as I got home from the music store, I hooked up the E10Ps in my studio to do a quick sound check with familiar material, to get an idea of what these little cabinets could do and how they sounded. Well, I was not able to get them up to their limit point in my studio (without possibly damaging my hearing) so I decided to wait until I got to my camp on Manitoulin Island where I could ''let em' rip'' in the great Canadian outdoors! My first impression on their sound quality was that they seemed a little more voiced towards live sound more than music playback. They did sound very good, but some mid frequencies seemed agressive to my ears at higher levels, mostly due to the horn I believe. Keep in mind, this is with all settings flat and in a studio setting (small space) - not where the E10Ps were designed to perform. Overall however, I have to say their out of the box response (on an ear pleasing level) was pretty good - aside from the horn's slightly harsh response. I did set up the E10P right next to one of my YX15Ps for a quick comparison - just for fun, and found their overall tone to be pretty similar to the E10Ps. This is a big compliment to the YX15P but just remember, this was just the beginning of the testing... :)

The E10P in the great Canadian wilderness

I was very lucky to have 4 days to test the E10P in some of the most beautiful colors mother nature has to offer. Green, yellow, orange and red leaves all over the place, a beautiful autumn setting and a thanksgiving long weekend. I was in paradise. :love: I was with my family at my (wife's parent's) hunting camp on Manitoulin Island. The cool thing about the E10P, is that I was able to fit one amongst all our luggage etc.. in our Ford Focus. This speaker is compact. I set it up on the floor in our camp almost as soon as we arrived. We do need music while unpacking, of couse! Well, the first thing that hit me was the bass response of this little cabinet. In my studio, the E10Ps were set up on a desk. But on the floor at my camp, the lower frequecies were quite impressive. Because the E10P is rear ported, its placement greatly affects its low frequency output. On the floor, this little cabinet almost blew my mind. :eek: Even with its bass knob flat, this cabinet was able to put out bottom end that would put to shame many, many speakers twice its size. So, I turned up the volume, and up, and up - watching the limit light to see when the damn thing would blink. Let me tell you my friends, it took alot to get the E10Ps limit light to blink, and by the time it did, the E10Ps output was unbelievable - especially considering its size. :eek:

Further testing outside proved quite simply that the E10P is NOT a toy. This is one serious, bad ass, high SPL capable, bite sized powered speaker. It handled everything I threw at it without sounding stressed. High level AC/DC, toe tappin' Alan Jackson and even Pump up the jam came through with clarity, fullness and power. If I could describe the E10P in 4 words, those words would be ''Bookshelf speaker on steroids'' :lol:

Most of my testing outside was done with the E10P on a larce piece of cement in front of an outhouse. How's that for a professional testing ground? The fact the it had something in back of it (the outhouse) did improve the E10Ps low frequency response - which was truly surprising. If you blocked the port with your hand however, most of the low frequencies disappeared. The only other problem I noticed with the E10Ps was that there was some rattling inside the cabinet at certain frequencies. This was the case with both the cabinets I received. Even my wife noticed the rattling which means it is pretty noticeable. Only on certain songs of course (and at high levels the rattling was no longer noticeable) but still... Also, I decided to avoid the ''live'' setting as I really didn't like what it did to the sound of most pre-recorded music material. I forget what frequency the HF knob affects in the live mode, but with pre-recorded music, the E10P just sounded more ''honky'' and ''harsher'' if you boosted the high frequencies on the back of the cabinet in this setting. For live music (which the setting was designed for) I imagine the results would be better. One interesting thing is that Live and playback mode sound identical if the EQs on the back of the E10Ps are in the flat setting. Anyway, in my opinion, instead of these selectable live or playback settings, a selectable and sweepable mid frequency knob would have been appreciated by the sound professionals that will be purchasing these boxes. (I don't see entry level DJs or bands spending this kind of dough on a small set of speakers...)

Conclusion

To summarize, I was very, very impressed with Yorkville's new E10P powered speaker. The output and low frequency capability of this cabinet are phenomenal given its minimal footprint. The horn's response could be smoother, but if size is a consideration, and you are looking for the most possible sound out of the smallest possible powered speaker, I highly recommend checking out the E10P. Combined with a sub or two, I imagine the results will be even more impressive. Good work Yorkville!

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services :)

• Members

Thanks for the review, Al :thu: I have a couple of questions:

1) I realize you were outdoors half the time but did you test the throw of the speaker? Would you say it is comparable to the NX55P?

2) Would you say the bass response was a tad exaggerated (like the NX55P) or pretty much flat compared with the rest of the frequency spectrum?

I use the NX55P as a reference point and comparison tool because we both have a pair...err, of the speakers, that is. ;)

V.

• Members

Thanks for the review, Al
:thu:
I have a couple of questions:

1) I realize you were outdoors half the time but did you test the throw of the speaker? Would you say it is comparable to the NX55P?

The dispersion of the E10P would lead me to believe it throws wider than further (100X25). The capacities of the horn are impressive however and the tone of the speaker would make me want to use them for live sound before the NX55Ps simply because the NX55Ps are less agressive in their mid frequency response. Apply an EQ to either of these speakers however, and they can be suitable for whichever application.

2) Would you say the bass response was a tad exaggerated (like the NX55P) or pretty much flat compared with the rest of the frequency spectrum?

I use the NX55P as a reference point and comparison tool because we both have a pair...err, of the speakers, that is. ;

V.

The bass response on the E10P is far from being as exagerated (or processed)as the NX55P's. I believe a little boost at 75hz was applied in the processing if I'm not mistaken. The E10P's response only goes down to 65hz while the NX55P's goes down to 45hz. You can definitely hear and feel the difference. But,b ecause of this deep processed bass, the NX55P tends to limit quickly on bass heavy music. Not so for the E10P. Although not going as deep as the NX55P, the E10P can produce a surprisingly rich thump at very high levels - and they are tough to get into limiting, considering their size. I was surprised more than once at how much I had to put up the gain to get that limit light to flicker. Most of the time, my EQ settings (on the back of the speaker) were bass flat and highs just slightly boosted. Cranking up the bass +18DBs would get it into limiting quicker of course. As with most speakers, it is best to boost as little as possible.

For the E10Ps bass response :as I mentionned earlier, placement of the E10P is very important. Up on my desk, the E10Ps still sound very good, but not as good as when they were on the floor at my camp (close to a wall and corner) or in front of the outhouse. The rear port is what gives this cabinet most of its big sound...

• Members

Hey Al, you must be Jay's dad, right?

I've heard a lot about you and your gear. I can't believe there's stuff like that in Sudbury!

I'm Luke, soundman at The Townehouse and other places. I love when Apparatus plays and get to use them sweet toys!

I was born and raised on Manitoulin!

Hi Luke. :wave: I'm not Jay's dad. I actually have two daughters. I have been doing mostly DJ work (although a little live sound) for the past 18 years in the Sudbury area. My brother Dayv Poulin is the lead singer for Toe Jam Tequila (cover band) - whom you might know.

Take care,

Al :)

• Members

For the E10Ps bass response :as I mentionned earlier, placement of the E10P is very important. Up on my desk, the E10Ps still sound very good, but not as good as when they were on the floor at my camp (close to a wall and corner) or in front of the outhouse. The rear port is what gives this cabinet most of its big sound...

Al, I found a similar lack of bass in the E210Bs I have when used as SOS. While I use them as my primary front line monitors, where they sound GREAT for vocals and instruments in that range, I went back to using the Yamaha SM12IVs for SOS (where I was HOPING to also use the E210s). I really do not understand the rear porting on these units. As you mentioned, they sound so much better when the ported sound gets reflected. Otherwise, the Yorkie 10"s NEED a sub or two.

Boomerweps

• Members

Al, I found a similar lack of bass in the E210Bs I have when used as SOS. While I use them as my primary front line monitors, where they sound GREAT for vocals and instruments in that range, I went back to using the Yamaha SM12IVs for SOS (where I was HOPING to also use the E210s). I really do not understand the rear porting on these units. As you mentioned, they sound so much better when the ported sound gets reflected. Otherwise, the Yorkie 10"s NEED a sub or two.

Boomerweps

Yep, I had the same experience with the E210s. They had almost no bass at the first venue I used them, but sounded nice and full at another. The first venue, I was up on a huge stage in a 300 capacity hall playing music for a stag+doe. The music was loud enough, but barely any low frequencies even with some boost on my EQ. The second venue was an outdoor car show with roughly 1000 in attendance. I had one E210P on the floor and one up on a stand. They were set up right in front of my van. They sounded magnificent and full. Go figure. The E10Ps have the exact same problem. Amazing on the floor in my camp, and outside on the concrete in front of the outhouse, but much weaker in the low frequencies set up in my studio (up on a desk). I got a chance to crank them up again tonight while my kids were playing downstairs and my wife was gone to a school meeting. Holy crap are these things powerful - is all I can say. Their overall tone is not as pleasant as the NX55Ps - they sound more like a live sound speaker, but man can they put out some serious sound. They should be very easy to EQ to taste. I keep looking at them and not believing the output these little things are capable of. I put up the volume and turn them around to see the limit light, and then turn up the volume some more, and some more... You know, thinking there's only so much air a 10'' woofer can move but...But still, I can put up the volume some more, and more and finally I see the limit light flicker once. Wow. :eek: Al

• Members

Al, I appreciate the extra touch you put into it by changing your profile picture to one that displays the product you are reviewing :thu: A live box, you say. This may the ticket for people looking into compact live sound set-ups. I'll look forward to the arrival of an E12P :love:

V.

• Members

How-much-do-these-babies-run?DO-theydefinately-put-out-more-bass-than-the-10"-JBL-G2?

Retail is 950$ a piece canadian. No one sells at retail of course... Mine will cost me 800 + tax a piece, so roughly 1800$ total for the pair.

Do they put out more bass than the 10'' G2? Looking at the -/+ 3DB frequency response spec, the Eon goes down to 90hz while the E10P goes down to 65hz. So the E10P definitely goes lower. How much louder the bass response is greatly depends on placement with the E10P, because of the rear porting. I am comfortable to say that in general, I feel the E10P is capable of blasting the Eon into another dimension in terms of output and low frequency performance when in an ideal position (close to a wall or corner). It should be noted however, that either of these cabinets should be generally be used with subs except for vocal reinforcement (speeches etc..) or small DJ duty / background music. I am actually using the E10Ps this weekend for a wedding by themselves (how much confidence is that?) I am familiar with the hall however and it is a small wedding (100-150 people) and I am up on a stage. I will let you guys know how it went.

• Members

Tell us (and maybe report it to Yorkville) more about the rattle. Both cabinets had it? Resonant at a certain frequency? Maybe part of the amplifier module?

I have sent a link to this thread to Yorkville and will let you know how they respond. The rattle seems to happen on certain notes in certain songs, so I guess it is trigerred by certain specific frequencies. It almost sounds sort of like a slightly blown speaker :confused: although it's more noticeable at lower volumes. The fact that my wife noticed is what made me realize this might be a problem.

There is a lot of energy being produced in such a small box, though. Also, these are the first hundreds of these new model Yorkville has produces so, maybe something that will have to be corrected. I'll let you know.

• Members

Al, I appreciate the extra touch you put into it by changing your profile picture to one that displays the product you are reviewing
:thu:
A live box, you say. This may the ticket for people looking into compact live sound set-ups. I'll look forward to the arrival of an E12P
:love:

V.

Thanks Gruvjack. I'd love to post pics of my long weekend, but last time I tried, it simply didn't work. Even with my avatar, I have to make sure to select lower quality settings when taking pics to make sure they will not be too big...

As for the E10P being a live sounding box, that is my impression because of the speaker's overall tone. This is not a bad thing, since the box really does sound great with very little tweaking - it just sounds different than the NX55Ps - which has always sounded more like a home speaker than a PA speaker to my ears....

The horn on the E10P is impressive in output but also more agressive sounding than the one on the NX55P and YX15P. In small spaces (such as my studio) it can become harsh to the ears at certain frequencies when you crank up the volume. The horn's power and tone will probably be what helps it cut through in a live sound setting, however. Its dispersion is the only thing that concerns me for live music use - since it shoots pertty wide (125X25). An E12P was not in the works last time I asked Yorkville about it.

Thanks again for your comments. :thu:

• Members

Hey guys :wave: - just a little update.

So I DJ'd a wedding yesterday using only a pair of E10Ps. :) As mentionned, it was a small wedding (70 for supper - 120 for the dance - 200 capacity hall with good acoustics), and I was very, very familiar with the hall - if not, I would not have attempted a wedding with a set of 10'' mains.

So, how did it go? Well, I set up the E10Ps to one side of the stage - one over the other - and pointed towards the dance floor. I had set up the mic on the other side of the stage to get most gain possible before feedback (as you know someone will not know how to speak INTO a mic and will hold it to their chest instead of in fron of them). Announcements (introduction of the wedding party as they come in) and supper music went great. These speakers are great at vocal reproduction. I enjoyed talking into the mic all night simply to hear myself. :) Supper music sounded great. The fact that the speakers were on one side of the stage, next to a wall and sort of in a corner took advantage of the rear porting.

So the dance started. I went go out on the dance floor to do a few sound checks during the night and noticed a few things : the E10s are really loud little cabinets, and they do sound surprisingly full and clear given their miniscule proportions. However, I also noticed : while the low end sounded fine during supper music, it was definitely lacking once the party started and the levels went up. The problem was not that the E10Ps were not putting out the low frequencies they were capable of,(since I made sure they were in the optimum location for bass response) - the problem is that because they were on the stage (and off the ground) most of the bass stayed on the stage. Sitting on my chair, I heard the metal chassis of my MD players rattle more than once on certain notes and really loved the low end I was feeling. But once I got off the stage and on the floor, most of that bottom disappeared. It was loud and clear, but I am used to a much fuller sound from my system.

Did this bother anyone? Probably not. Around here, most people prefer clarity and hearing the lyrics to songs (and words to the speeches clearly) as opposed to being bombarded by deep bass notes all night. In small wedding settings anyway. It did bother me however....I do enjoy a nice, full sound from my system. I was curious to see what these speakers could do by themselves though, and this was the perfect place to do it.

I did push those little E10Ps to surprising levels - with Thunderstruck especially and Cotton Eye Joe (to which someone was dancing on their socks). Man, was Thunderstruck loud! My ears were ringing and I was behind the speakers. I got no complaints that the sound was not loud enough. My Peavey PV10 was pushed up to the 0DB point and a little above and you know what? Even though I'm sure I was near the otput limit of these speakers, I did not see the limit LED light up once. :eek: These are true little troopers. :thu: I kept the EQ pretty flat of course...

I tried the E10Ps with my LS700P today and, as you guessed the overall sound is much fuller and improved overall, not that this should be surprising... I would expect such small cabinets to be used with a sub or subs in most situations of course, but I now feel confident that these speakers were designed with ultra high performance in mind and will deliver the goods most pros would expect at this price point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, I brought back the E10Ps to my music store today. :cry: One of them definitely has something wrong with the woofer. I told my dealer to try to sell them, as I am not certain I want them... At 1800$ a pair, they are pretty expensive little cabs. Especially since I realized I could get another set of NX55Ps for almost the same price. I think four NX55Ps could handle most gigs I do. It's either that or a set of NX750Ps to add to my collection. I'll wait for my dealer to sell the E10Ps and then decide. I did a quick shoot-out of all the powered speakers I had on hand yesterday (while my wife was gone) combined with my LS700P and was surprised with what I heard. Let's just say the E10Ps were the least ear pleasing of the group - in the small space of my studio of course...The best sounding might surprise you, especially since I've been keeping a secret for a little while....

• Members

Hee Hee. ;)

Well, here goes....

Out of curiousity (and because it was for monitor applications), I purchased a pair of Behringer B212As about a year ago. I was looking for something ultra compact and super cheap that I wouldn't mind laying on the ground (as a monitor) during my children's concerts - or outside at camp etc... I never mentionned them on HC, since I know many do not like B products, I myself have often made jokes about them etc... but I didn't have too much $$$ to spend at the time on monitors so...I thought what the hell.

Well, I wasn't expecting much from them, but they have honestly surprised me. I will not write a review on them as I am not a Behringer fan, but for 400$ on Ebay, they have held up fine as monitors, while sounding very good.

Yesterday, while my wife was gone, I hooked up my LS700P powered sub and paired it up with my NX55Ps, YX15Ps, Behringer B212As and Elite E10Ps for fun. Going from one set to another, using the same tracks, higher volume, lower volume, playing with the EQ - I compared all 4 sets for about an hour or so.

Paired with the LS700P, out of the whole group, the E10Ps were the ones I least liked the sound of - which really surprised me. Pretty harsh at certain frequencies although very loud and clear. Not all that ear friendly, in smaller places anyway. 3rd place were the NX55Ps. :eek: For some reason the mids simply didn't seem to be as articulate as they should and the top end was slightly annoying at higher volumes. The S sound came through a little too much. :confused: Used by themselves however, the NX55Ps were by far the best sounding of the group. (nice and full and hi-fi sounding). Second place would go to the B212As. :eek: Although these have absolutely no bottom end by themselves, with a sub, they sounded outstanding (as much as I hate to admit it). Not harsh at all and very natural in it's mid and high response. The horn on this cabinet is really sweet sounding. EQ on the back of the cabinet was HF flat and LF -6DB approx. From there, they are easy to EQ to sound very nice. Best sounding overall to my ears combined with the LS700P were the YX15Ps. :eek: A little more mid oriented than the NX55Ps or B212s (but not as much as the E10Ps), they seemed to be the best balanced overall and the ones that would sound best (and just agressive enough) in a bigger setting. These ratings are probably not completely fair as this was a quick, very unprofessional test, but it reminded me of the strengths and weaknesses of these cabinets.

It should be noted that all of these cabinets with the LS700P sub would sound very good in most settings and that none of them sounded bad at all. In a live sound setting for example, the E10Ps agressiveness might just be what you need to get the vocals out there. Also, I did not have an EQ set up to compensate for each cabinet's response and make them sound their best. This was just a quick test for fun with all the speakers I had at my disposal. Finally, going from one speaker to the next is not always good, as you tend to get used to one speaker's sound. If I had listened to them in a different order, maybe the NX55Ps would have sounded better for example. I think I tried them right after the E10Ps, so the NX55Ps weaker mid response was more apparent...So, yeah, I know, not a very good test. ;) Fun none the less..

At the moment, I've got my NX55Ps connected by themselves and I am absolutely loving their sound. Without subs, they are a phenomenal plastic box. I think I'm getting a second pair. :thu:

• Members

I had a feeling, why because i did the same thing I bought 3 of them for the same reason', anyway I got a call to run sound from some guys I knew who were in a pinch and needed someone to run sound, I told them I had sold my mains and was in the process of getting a couple of JBL G2 but haven't got them yet, all I had were some B212a and LS700p, Beggers can't be choosy so I went and did the job, not excepting much, and after looking at them on the speaker poles they looked realy small, I was even less confident. They flat shocked me and the band.I have my JBL G2 speakers now and when I compared them with out a sub the G2 sounded much smoother. But for $199.00, I better stop before I start a vomit epidemic.

• Members

Retail is 950$
a piece
canadian. No one sells at retail of course... Mine will cost me 800 + tax a piece, so roughly 1800$ total for the pair.

Al

Everyone seems to love the QSC Hpr122i's. They run very close to the same price.( They seem to run $1900 or less a pair on ebay) Have you thought about finding one to compare to the yorkies? I would before spending $1800.

Dookietwo

Archived