Need to find new mounting sleeve for S115V

• Members
Hey all,

I broke the thing on the bottom of one of my Yamaha S115V's where the speaker stand pole goes. The "sleeve-like-thingy".

I need a new one but cannot find them anywhere! Can anyone help me find one?

Thanks!!

Sure you can get them all over the place where have you been looking? Parts Express is a great place to shop. You just need to know for sure if they are 1 3/8" or 1 1/2" Most are the former.

• Members

Well, thanks for the responses but still no luck.

Like agedhorse said, I want to get the original yamaha ones.

I have found nothing at musiciansfriend, and the only thing at parts express was this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?FILTER=top+hat&FTR=top+hat&search_type=main&WebPage_ID=3&x=0&y=0

all of them are not-yamaha brand.

Do people have yamaha brand pole cap/stand mounts? Or do I just need to call support?

• Members
Well, thanks for the responses but still no luck.

Like agedhorse said, I want to get the original yamaha ones.

I have found nothing at musiciansfriend, and the only thing at parts express was this:

all of them are not-yamaha brand.

Do people have yamaha brand pole cap/stand mounts? Or do I just need to call support?

You'd have to get them from an authorized Yam dealer or direct, I would think.

• Members

Get the original Yamaha one, the hole size (in the cabinet) and the positions of the mounting flage holes vary wildly. You don't want to be hacking on your cabinet to save a couple of dollars.

Actually... my thoughts are if the origional broke, and if something better exists that might not be so likely to break, then maybe making the changes to improve the situation (beef things up) might be a good idea.

I'm thinking replacing the broken one, and the hat in the other speaker at the same time with drawn steel hats and install backing plates. I suggest:

http://www.penn-elcom.com/Default.asp?MC=1111010&GC=54&SS=&RC=2&Fl1=&Fl2=&Fl3=

Models M1551/BP and M1552

• Members

perhaps we want the pole cup to break first instead of the particle board...?

local music shop has yamaha replacement cups for $22 and the have the correct bolt pattern and are a lot beefier than the originals.

i have one bent cup in one of my s115IV's but have yet to replace it.

• Members

perhaps we want the pole cup to break first instead of the particle board...?

The pole cup breaks what's the worst that can happen? I'd say it's highly likely the pole cup could crack when being mounted on the pole. If-so, then it's likely the cup could further fatigue during use, resulting in a sudden catistrophic failure of the cup while mounted on the pole. If-so, the pole could forseeably gut the cabinet on it's way to exiting the top of the cabinet, destroying most if not all of the components and destroying the top of the cabinet, rendering everything useless, before the debris crashed down far enough to possibly harm bystanders.

Humm... I wonder which would be worse? I vote for engineering fairly easy to identify cabinet damage before engineering possibly hidden hardware failure. If something's coming apart, I'd like some warning.

• Members

while i agree with you on your disaster fail mode choice, i dont see how that is going to happen with the yamaha cups.

the cups that yamaha uses on the 115's are a very soft, mild steel-like metal. these bend long before they break. i have seen several bent cups on these things but never a broken one.

the next step up is a much thicker more sturdy cup that aint never gonna bend no how. i think if a guy is going to go that route that he should be advised to add a larger plate of some sort to even out the footprint of the cup; either inside the box or outside. when i have taken the cups out of these cabs i am somewhat shocked at how crummy this area of the cab is in terms of strenght - not much material to work with.

i think if a guy just replaced the stock yamaha cup with the next better version with either t-nuts or the small metal backing ring (instead of just screwed into the particle board like yamaha does) that the area would likely tear out if subjected to the same force that could cause the yamaha cup to just 'bend'.

i dont know what causes these cups to bend unless it is a stand that falls. in that case your pretty much screwed anyhow.

SO, i think the big question I have is HOW DID THE OP BREAK THE CUP?

• Members

ok so you want to know how it broke huh? Well it's kinda embarrassing but okay...

I got a great deal when I bought my speakers because each one came with a free OnStage stand ($40 value each!). I put the speakers on the stands at my house to try them out for the first time. I go to take the speakers off the next day. One speaker comes off fine. The other one, I swear is stuck in there. So I take the pole out of the stand legs, and sit the speaker upside down, and pull straight up. After much fighting with it, it finally came out. No, this is not when it broke.

I used the speakers and stands at a gig later in the week. Afterwards I had the same problem... getting the stand pole out of one of those damn top hats. so I set the speaker upside down again. I can't get it out. I try for a good 5-10 minutes.

Then I ask a friend to help me out. I held the speaker horizontally to the ground, and he pulled on the pole... no luck. It ended up that we had two people on each end, pulling, when someone got the bright idea to shake the pole back and forth.... well after a minute of doing that with increasing intensity, we heard a very, very loud CRACK. Yup, broke the top hat. :facepalm:

I found this based on your link:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=245-014

I don't really want to get the flat plate thing as it seems useless to me...

Honestly this is the ONLY 1-1/2" top hat I have found online... so that is a big reason for getting it too.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

(A quick follow-up)

You are correct! My yamy's do use a 1 & 3/8" pole. unfortunately I found that out after I received and installed the 1 & 1/2" stand cup.

Not to worry though, my stands came with adapters to make the end of the pole larger to work with a 1 & 1/2" stand cup.

• Members

this thread is back from the dead...

i gotta eat some crow here....i replaced my pole cup with the bigger beefier one and did not improve the area at all - i just used the same screws yammy did and stuck it back on the pole. it fits better and stands straight up, cant complain.

now i gotta do the other one as it too now looks a little crooked :)

Archived