12 inch Vs 15 inch Speakers for Vocals and Acoustic Guitar

• CMS Author

Are 12 inch speakers better for vocals and acoustic guitar than 15 inch ones? Let's assume they're equally powered. Do 15 inch speakers have any advantages other than bass response?

If you're talking about the same maker, same product line, then the 15" generally has a little better LF response. Otherwise many are very similar in all other respects including midrange vocal clarity. Between different manufacturers or different product lines, all bets are off....you can design a speaker to do almost anything you want. For example the Phil Jones Bass speaker cabinets use 5" drivers and they easily handle a low-B tuned bass.

• Members

I've heard many 15'' speakers as well as many 12'' speakers that sounded fantastic with vocals. I do like 15'' (for what I do) simply because you can quite often use them without subs and have enough low frequency response for smaller bookings. Of course it depends what you are using them for... I use mine for DJ duty mostly - so music playback. I've tried many 12'' and 15'' powered Yorkville cabs. Which models are you looking at in particular?

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

I'm looking at the NX25P, the NX55P, and the YX15P. A pair might be monitors when my full band plays with our soundman, maybe 1 main and one monitor when I'm solo acoustic, maybe two mains when the band plays without the soundman. One might also serve as an amp for my acoustic guitar.

Archived