No announcement yet.

12 inch Vs 15 inch Speakers for Vocals and Acoustic Guitar

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 inch Vs 15 inch Speakers for Vocals and Acoustic Guitar

Are 12 inch speakers better for vocals and acoustic guitar than 15 inch ones? Let's assume they're equally powered. Do 15 inch speakers have any advantages other than bass response?

That's a good qusetion and my thoughts are how many 15 inch guitar speakers you see in guitar amps. Guess that's why I went with 12's for my PA system FWIW I use Yorkville NX35's as FOH tops and front wedges.

Comment

Depends entirely on the quality of the components and the design of the box.

In general, the tradeoff is more bass with the 15" and less midrange definition along with heavier and larger.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Are 12 inch speakers better for vocals and acoustic guitar than 15 inch ones? Let's assume they're equally powered. Do 15 inch speakers have any advantages other than bass response?

If you're talking about the same maker, same product line, then the 15" generally has a little better LF response. Otherwise many are very similar in all other respects including midrange vocal clarity. Between different manufacturers or different product lines, all bets are off....you can design a speaker to do almost anything you want. For example the Phil Jones Bass speaker cabinets use 5" drivers and they easily handle a low-B tuned bass.
        "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

All speakers are different but if i had to give an off-the-cuff answer, i'd say go with the 12s.
          JP

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm specifically looking at Yorkville powered speakers, but I'm also thinking of standard 200-500 watt wedges.

Comment

I've heard many 15'' speakers as well as many 12'' speakers that sounded fantastic with vocals. I do like 15'' (for what I do) simply because you can quite often use them without subs and have enough low frequency response for smaller bookings. Of course it depends what you are using them for... I use mine for DJ duty mostly - so music playback. I've tried many 12'' and 15'' powered Yorkville cabs. Which models are you looking at in particular?

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services
              KV2 KX12s - Yamaha DXR15s, RCF ART 310A , Yamaha DXR8 - Yamaha DXS12 subs, Wharfedale Titan 12 actives, Yamaha MG12/4 mixer X 2, Peavey PV10 mixer, Yorkville PGM8 mixer - Many Sony MD players (home and portable), Shure cordless microphone and a variety of LED lighting effects.

Comment

You have to look on a case by case basis.
                Don Boomer

Comment

I'm looking at the NX25P, the NX55P, and the YX15P. A pair might be monitors when my full band plays with our soundman, maybe 1 main and one monitor when I'm solo acoustic, maybe two mains when the band plays without the soundman. One might also serve as an amp for my acoustic guitar.

Comment

Working...
                  X