Fader lube?

• Members

I've got an older Mackie 16 channel, CR-1604. As I recall, a respected repair tech had said that the faders were cleaned improperly, and lost their lube. They all work but don't slide as smoothly as a new board I was just checking out.

Truth is, once the faders were set, along with input levels and line eq's we didn't do that much adjusting. Everyone used their same mic's and instruments into the same channels and after the gig, just attached the cover to the mixer case and went home, next gig we were up and running with the same basic set up

The board is going to be put back into use this spring.( Its been a number of years, 5?) Is there something I can use to prep/clean the faders and restore some of the original quality?

Thanks for your suggestions,

• Members

Unfortunately, with the faders that are used, nothing will help and manythings will hurt (make worse problems).

I just sold one of these with a similar problem for about $100, if it hadn't been "celaned" it would have been worth more.

Most faders (I would say all) are better off not messed with unless the service guy has experience rebuilding the faders. Some are rebuildable (even though not by design), some are not.

• Members

Unfortunately, with the faders that are used, nothing will help and manythings will hurt (make worse problems).

I just sold one of these with a similar problem for about $100, if it hadn't been "celaned" it would have been worth more.

Most faders (I would say all) are better off not messed with unless the service guy has experience rebuilding the faders. Some are rebuildable (even though not by design), some are not.

Fair enough,

I won't mess with it. I'm satisfied that everything still works on the board. It'll have to do for the bar scene.

• Members

DeOxite sells a spray lube. This is specifically a lube to be used AFTER you use their cleaner deoxidizer. The DeOxite deoxidizer tends to clean fader lube away ;>(

Boomerweps

Does not work as advertised for slide controls. The silicone based lube from the sliders, when rinced off, gets all over everything and attracts grit and dirt and accelerates any wear by as much as 10x IME.

Archived