Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTS Jumper for QSC GX5???

On page 9 of the manual for this amp it says I need an RTS jumper cable if I want to run both channels of the amp from the same source (1 XLR from the mixer into channel 1). Anyone ever heard of an RTS jumper? Or am I over analyzing this and it's just a balanced TRS - TRS. At least that's what it looks like in the picture. If this is some specialized cable anyone know where I can get one?

Right, just a TRS-TRS jumper between the two 1/4" inputs to tie the two inputs together.

From the manual:

Comment

OK that's exactly what I thought, just wasn't sure. Wonder why they called it an RTS jumper?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

ring tip sleeve as opposed to tip ring sleeve
        samkokajko wins! - MusicalSchizo

Comment

I believe the QSC is wired "backwards" -- RTS instead of TRS to avoid damage when you plug in the jack (which doesn't happen with XLR, because one of the pins is longer and makes contact first).

However, since you're going from one jack to another of the same type, it doesn't matter.

NOTE: I'm wrong here- see below

Comment

I believe the QSC is wired "backwards" -- RTS instead of TRS to avoid damage when you plug in the jack (which doesn't happen with XLR, because one of the pins is longer and makes contact first).

Nope.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Nope.

Oops, you're right.

Our QSC MX1500a amps are tip negative ring positive. The GX series is tip positive ring negative.

Comment

Yes, ther reversed tip and ring, sleeve corresponds to pin 1 which is longer for make first, break last ground connection.

I just got in an unrepairable MX-1500A, anybody interested?
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Comment

So if I understand right (got a little confusing there for a minute), I can use a TRS for the jumper in a GX5?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

I just got in an unrepairable MX-1500A, anybody interested?

Don't start with me ... LOL
                      -token canadian

Lest we forget: double-blind tests make audiophiles look twice as stupid. CRAIG V 2007

Just for fun, what do you think would happen if you decided to take a nap in the fast lane of a freeway? agedhorse -2008

Funny, I'll bet I have a good one sitting on my shelf. agedhorse -2008

Comment

Don't start with me ... LOL

It's not worth repairing, but good for a parts unit for a shop that has a lot of the MX and EX series amps. There's a lot of them still out there, the theatre chain I service still has several hundred of them.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Working...
                          X