Collapse
No announcement yet.

upgrade plan...over my head?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You also get full parameteric EQ and vaiable low pass filters.

Having too wide of a Q is one reason why I hate most/all cheap desks. Most times, I'd rather carve out a small notch rather than obliterate a large band.

-Dan.
    Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.

Comment

If the LS9 ends up being just outside of our price range and we need to work with the GL2800, how would you guys reccomend best setting up a feed to send to video equipment. Obviously it would help if I could tell you what kind of video equipment, but I dont know. I was thinking about either using a stereo mix of aux 9-10 or I think the matrix mixing feature is somehow used for this. Could someone help me understand how to use this feature a little more. I have the manual and am reading that too, but maybe a different explination will help me out. But, not to discount other ideas, what is the best way to send a broadcast feed from the LS9 as well?

Comment

At my work (LS9) and church (M7) I just use a mix/matrix off of the main mix. What is heard in FOH is what broadcast receives as well. This approach would be identical between the GL2800 and the LS9 - the 2800 would use an "aux" and the LS9 would use a mix or matrix, all the same in the end.

You could mix broadcast separate from FOH, but that would require more work and constant flipping between the FOH mix faders and broadcast mix faders.

Comment

If the LS9 ends up being just outside of our price range and we need to work with the GL2800, how would you guys reccomend best setting up a feed to send to video equipment. Obviously it would help if I could tell you what kind of video equipment, but I dont know. I was thinking about either using a stereo mix of aux 9-10 or I think the matrix mixing feature is somehow used for this. Could someone help me understand how to use this feature a little more. I have the manual and am reading that too, but maybe a different explination will help me out. But, not to discount other ideas, what is the best way to send a broadcast feed from the LS9 as well?

How much outside? The LS9 is a very impressive desk for the $. Anyway, if you are absolutely set on the GL2800, you could do a stereo aux or you could use the matrix as a send. If, for example, you had a mono PA, you could have all of your busses sent to the mono send and also assign every channel/bus to the L/R bus(as appropriate). Then, what you could do is set the L-R busses on matrix 1&2 outs, respectively, to unity and have fun. There's a hundred ways to use your matrix, and it is dependant on how you are also using the board for your FOH and monitors.

Good luck.

Comment

Does the GL2800 have matrix sends on the groups?
            If so I would user the subgroups to pull out vocals, instruments, drums and auxilliary (DVDs, CDs, etc). Then mix those groups to FOH and also to a matrix, this way you can balance out the level of the drums which have less FOH pressence because of room acoustics to quiet vocalists who have a lot of amplification.

Either that or use an Aux but that could take up a little more concentration to mix. It's a balance of quality in the recording mix and time you have to spend on it while running the rest of your sound.

Any of the above should work well.
            samkokajko wins! - MusicalSchizo

Comment

First of all, why use TRS connectors on a snake? Standardize on XLR and be done with it.

Maybe this is something that would best be handled by a pro. Pulling a snake 200' is not a trivial job, and things can go very wrong ending up with a useless piece of cable stuck in an also useless piece of conduit.

Regarding a digital console, I still find a conventional analog console easier to use on a day to day basis. Doesn't mean a digital console shouldn't be considered, but it's not the only option.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Welp. Hence the name of the thread. I suppose I overlooked that. Xlrs would work all the same. I just said trs to match the connector of the aux outs. This very well may come down to hiring for this job. I have not shut that idea out at all. I understand the magnitude involved and wanted to see all of your opinions on this first. The only advantage with us doing it is, of course, the price. I don't know how much labor costs usually run for a few guys to come in and do this + the equipment. If this even gets off the ground there will firstly be a preset budget maximum set. Depending on what this is affects the rest of the process. This thread is in the situation of, in case of a tight budget, can we do it ourselves and save in labor costs so that we can get the gear we need. The way I see it its either we do it ourselves and, with help, get everything we need and work out the install, or hire out and get a little less of an upgrade for what I am hoping (as in making this count and not need another job done 5-10 years down the road). Or we say, we cant afford it right now to get the best of both worlds and we just stick to what we have now which is a system that is not quite adequate to our needs. Of course, in a perfect world we could use more money and get everything done by professionals all around. Last I checked its not a perfect world. I do very much appreciate the tips, recommendations and experience you all offer. Part of that may just be me needing to break down and say ok we can't do it. But I'll be stubborn for just a while longer.

Comment

It may end up being less expensive to hire out.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Comment

I was just thinking about an IEM setup. If we were to get PSM200 packs, we would need trs out on the stage I believe.

Comment

Why? The PSM200 is XLR and TRS.

Comment

Forget about TRS.

Comment

Working...
                        X