mic holder for guitar amp

• Members

i think there are a few different kinds. the one that comes to mind is the Adix Cab-Grabber. the design seems good but ive never used it. ive seen another that has a piece that mounts perminantly to the amp and has an arm that has the mic clip that disconnects. i dont like the idea of something that mounts to the amp with screws. theres another that rests on top of the amp called the "z bar" i think, but it seems like a strange design that might not work well in practice.

here is a link to the cab-grabber:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Audix-Cab-Grabber?sku=703590&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=304359976

here is the "z-bar":

http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/product_view.cgi?products_id=5469

i cant find the other, but maybe someone else knows what its called and what to search for. hope that helps.

• Members

ive heard and read that the e609 and the e906 sound just ok when draped directly on the grill, and really come alive when placed an inch or so away.

i dont really like the design of the "z-bar". it just looks like it would have limited applications. what if the amp is missing a top handle? what if it is not a head and cab type amp? if its just for yours and it would work in your situation then go for it. if you might need use it on someone elses amp or anything else id say go with the "cab-grabber". it looks more more versitile in its uses.

• Members

ive heard and read that the e609 and the e906 sound just
ok
when draped directly on the grill, and really come alive when placed an inch or so away.

i dont really like the design of the "z-bar". it just looks like it would have limited applications. what if the amp is missing a top handle? what if it is not a head and cab type amp? if its just for yours and it would work in your situation then go for it. if you might need use it on someone elses amp or anything else id say go with the "cab-grabber". it looks more more versitile in its uses.

I have z-bars, for combos I just slide the bar under the amp. I have never had an issue.

• Members

Hello,

Isn't there a device that holds a mic on your guitar amplifier? I can't google it.

Seems easier than a mic stand to fiddle with.

Thanks.

I f'ing hate z-bars. They're not super-hard to use, but they're annoying enough that I'd rather avoid them if I can. No way are they easier than a mic stand; the only way they're better is that they can keep the stage a bit less cluttered.

what if the amp is missing a top handle? what if it is not a head and cab type amp?

Even in those scenarios, it's a crapshoot. An amp may have a top handle, but it could be positioned strangely, or it may not have much tension to it, in which case, you're screwed.

If you've got feet on the head, then the only place you can put the z-bar is directly under the feet, which limits your placement options.

I'd try that cab-grabber, though I wonder how far the arm can extend.

-Dan.

• Members

I f'ing hate z-bars. They're not super-hard to use, but they're annoying enough that I'd rather avoid them if I can. No way are they easier than a mic stand; the only way they're better is that they can keep the stage a bit less cluttered.

Even in those scenarios, it's a crapshoot. An amp may have a top handle, but it could be positioned strangely, or it may not have much tension to it, in which case, you're screwed.

If you've got feet on the head, then the only place you can put the z-bar is directly under the feet, which limits your placement options.

I'd try that cab-grabber, though I wonder how far the arm can extend.

-Dan.

It's amazing what a little piece of folded up or unfolded foam will do to hold the Z-bar in place. Sure, I prefer a mic stand, but we just use the Z-bar 98% of the time because out mic stand bag is already full.

Winston

• Members

It's amazing what a little piece of folded up or unfolded foam will do to hold the Z-bar in place. Sure, I prefer a mic stand, but we just use the Z-bar 98% of the time because out mic stand bag is already full.

Winston

Yeah, I usually used the vinyl bag that the microphone came in. Still struck me as kind of ghetto.

-Dan.

• Members

As far as draping a 609, it sounds much better (IMO) to have it out an inch or two and not straight on, but off-axis. I've use the z-bar. It actually won't work with a e609 if I remember right without using a 3" gooseneck because of the orientation of the mic. But it works fine with a 57 if you have the right kind of amp.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Note that modulo resurrected an old thread to ask about the Z-bars. I'm pretty sure the other issues regarding specific mics were addressed a year and a half ago.

Oops!

It could still be helpful to someone looking for the same thing.

• Members

Completely helpful; we've been considering something like the Z-bar for a few months, and would love to have something smaller and less obtrusive than a mini-boom for both our tilt-stand-ed combo amps...

Of course, the fact that it doesn't get much praise above does not help much.

I don't think any of the permanently mounted options will pass muster either, but I appreciate seeing all the suggestions nonetheless. I may just see about making some sort of home-made but perfect for our particular application solution...

Archived