How high can you hear?

• Members

One of the discussions here got me thinking that I haven't checked out my hearing in quite a few years. In my early 20's I could hear to 22K. I'm a bit shocked to find it is more like 14.5k right and 13.5k left :-(. I guess that isn't horrible for someone in their 50's - my wife (8 years younger than me) can't hear a 14k tone at all. How about all you all?

• Members

I'm 20, I got to 20kHz on an experiment I did in university.

I'll need to get it done properly though, because it was just practice for first years and I doubt that it was in any way reliable, even though the girl testing me was good looking, she wasn't the brightest

• Members
I had my hearing tested at NAMM, and I'm reasonably flat to about 16kHz. Flat is a relative term though, since the ear is more sensitive to midrange frequencies naturally. I'm well within "normal" for my age group.

Hmm... I should see if my insurance covers testing. I was just screwing around with the waveform generator in Visual Analyzer 2009 and suspect I'd test a little higher than my very unscientific stab at it :cool: . I do know my left ear isn't 100% though :(.

• Members

I'm 54 and can hear to 9k with my right ear and 12k with my left. When I was 24 I could hear to 13k with both. In the late sixties I could hear the 19k MPX signal on my radio shack tuner. Countless years of playing drums, drag racing, running sound and Long Island clubs of the 70s and 80s did me in. Now I wont even drive my car more than a couple of miles without earplugs. As a lead singer /bass player in three bands, I hear myself so well through my head with earplugs I don't need monitors anymore, and my pitch is better than ever, Paul.

Archived