E V Eliminator

• Members

I have a line in Electro Voice Eliminator Series subs. I am looking for subs,and I am considering Yamaha S118s. Met a guy who has a set of the EVs.They are of course used,but can be had for less cash than the Yamahas.My gut tells me they are/were probably better subs.If they are in pristene condition,I told the guy I would consider them.We are supposed to hook-up tomorrow. I'm thinking no more than $300.00 for the pair.Is that about right? Am I offering too much if I offer to go that high?The guitarist I'm currently working with says they will blow the Yamahas out of the water. I think they are gonna "look" old,and filthy,but thats nothing a little elbow grease,and dye can't fix.Anyways,anyone got any input?

• Members

Dudes mother had to go into the hospital. So he's going to call me tomorrow. Says they are about 3 feet tall,front loaded,and trapazoid shaped. They are probably older than I am!!! Really thinking I'm going to stick to my original plan at this point,but still want to give them a listen.

• Members

There may be a part number stamped on the back of the magnet. That will tell what driver is used. IIRC, there were several versions.

What should I be looking for? What in your opinion will make these worth anything? Do you ship to Indiana? Probably cost prohibitive,but...

• Members

Ideally, they will be using some version of the EVM series driver, it's possible that a DL series was used in the latest series, but the early stuff used a version of the Force series. If they are OEM versions (not all were), then I have to look up the OEM part number stamped onthe back of the magnet to cross to the actual model used.

The Force series were not so hot.

• Members

There were 2 versions of eliminator, one waay old and one from 99-07 or 08. Anyway the newer versions were "ok" in kinda the way a Peavey SP118 was "ok". The Eliminator KW is pretty good but a double 18 box and for that there are some good choices on the market. I'd consider the yamaha's (4x) or the dual 18 yamaha's, they seem to be selling cheap at GC these days, no one wants to commit to lugging around a dual 18...

• Members

http://www.electrovoice.com/documents/ev/Eliminator-i-Sub-EDS.pdf

This is the worst example of a 6th order bandpass sub that I have ever seen. :facepalm:

A "one note" peak at 75-80 hz and -10db at 58 hz falling to -20db at 39 hz.

So this is a "one note" wonder with no lower extension.:poke:

This is exactly the kind of frequency response that gives 6th order bandpass subs a bad name. From a lot of modeling over the years, I can tell you that this is caused by trying to achieve efficiency above all other criterion with the wrong woofer.

• Members

FWIW I've used these with the matching tops and they aren't too bad actually. Last night I ran 4x S181's (also a 6th order bandpass) off 1 channel of PLX3402 and it was perfect for a club of 200. HPF at 40 or 45 and get the extreme lows out but there is some extention with multiple subs and I placed all 4 about 6ft from eachother to avoid dead spots which helped quite a bit. They were placed under a temporary stage that was 3ft tall behind the dressing, they couldn't be seen but definitly heard!

The eliminator isn't the best sub out there but for MI grade stuff it isn't bad.

• Members

I have not heard from this dude. I had an original plan,and I've decided that I'm going to stick with it as close as I can. I really don't want to buy someone's old ,used completly up junk. That said,a friend of mine that used to own a music store has a pair of JBL M- Pro 2-15 w/horn tops. At $250.00 for the pair I think they could be a versatile set of speakers. if not for FOH tops,then sidefill monitors.For that kinda money,its just hard to pass on these as I have heard them.And I can use them when I want till I pay him. Kind of a no lose deal for me,really!

Archived