New Live Mic for Vocals? Little Help

• Members

Whats up gang. I am currently ready to upgrade my live vocal mic. I am Rhythm guitar player and I sing back up and am the only vocal other our lead singer and I also use a TC Helicon voice processor. I can simply see that when I sing through my lead singers Senheisser wireless mic it is so much hotter and more sensitive. I have use much less energy to hit notes and it strains my voice much less. SO... the point is I want a WIRED, durable, vocal mic made for club use and possibly have some duel function in some capacity in home recording some time. I have found that the Betas by Sure are very nice but really like Audix. I use Audix I5s for my snare and for my guitar cabs so I would like to stick to Audix products but am open to any suggestion.

Does anyone know what the best wired live vocal mic is from Audix and does it compare to the Sure Beta(whatever one that may be for vocals) or other brands. I am willing to spend up to 300 or so.

Thanks in advance guys and gals!

Chris

• Members

Find out what the wired version of your lead singer's mic is and think about one of those. Having matching vocal mics usually makes the mixing easier
:cool:

Yup - Usually you can unscrew the windscreen and find a sticker saying something like "845" on the capsule. I don't know about the old 3072 wireless handhelds, but the Evolution series uses the capsules as some of the wired Sennheiser mics.

• Members

Thanks for the advice but agedhorse I am singing through a pg58. Its intro level crapp. The only good thing about is that it works.

I very much like Audix stuff and want to try a high end product from them but my lead singer sings through some high end Sennheiser wireless.

• Members

I really like the Audix mikes for instruments, but use Shure mics for vocals. We use the: Beta 58; Beta 57; and Beta 87 for different vocalists in the band. Each member has their favorite for their voice, but it's only my small margins as these are all good, standard, mics.

Try out various mics to see what you like for your voice!

• Members

Having said that we like Shure mics for our group, I don't have much experience with the Audix mics for vocals. (I do like their quality with the instrument mics we've used).

The Audix OM-5 looks like a good place to start for a vocal mic. It's priced similar to the Beta 57-58, and gets good reviews.

Good luck! Let us know what you come up with.

• Members

Perfect guys thats exactly what I was looking for. The Sure stuff seems to be all around great in the Beta series and I will look for some comparisons on OM-5 as well.

Thanks great! Ill let you know what happens!

Chris

• Members

I never really liked the SM57/58 but really like the Beta versions. The band I'm workin' on at the moment had a low male lead singer that sounded weak until I handed him a Beta 58A -wow! He threw his old SM58 in the "crap mic" bag :lol: . I also tried an EV N/D767A but that never sounded right to me on low male voices and it didn't cut it here either.

• Members

Audix OM7 is currently my favourite mic, along with the Audix OM6.

OM7 doesn't have a lot of output (the PG58 is hotter) so you need to bump the mic gain. What you get out of this mic is incredible gain before feedback and very crisp, clear vocals.

BUT, where this mic doesn't fair too well is when it's on a stand. The issue is it's incredibly tight hypercardioid pattern... you need to stay right on top of the mic, if you fall out of the pickup zone you'll drop out of the mix completely. This is a problem for a lot of singing guitarists in my experience. I would use a mic with a wider cardioid pattern (like the Sennheiser E835). If you can stay in within the polar pattern though you're golden. It's a great mic.

• Members

If you are on the same monitor mix as the singer with the wireless, get a mic that has the same capsule, so that the two mics have the same feedback frequencies.

If you are on your own mix: OM7, OM6, 767a, OM3, OM2, any Sennheiser e series dynamic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Have always run with SM58's (lets face it who hasn't), but our bass player / backup vocalist just got and Audix OM3 (fairly basic model) and it sounds great... Am seriously thinking of getting either an OM5 or SM58 Beta, so the dilemma begins for me now :)

Archived