Aux sends "shift" buttons

• Members

Does anyone find those 5/6 Aux shift buttons useful? Seem more like a cruel joke to me - kinda an in-you-face "If you weren't such a wanker you'd've bought a real board!" kinda of thing ...

:lol:

Seriously I'd find it much more useful if it only shifted one of the Aux sends so that you could have your two monitor feeds on Aux1 and Aux2, some sort of generic effect (reverb?) on Aux3 and a choice between two different effects on Aux4. I suppose I could sum together the Aux3 and Aux5 sends somehow ...

• Members

"If you weren't such a wanker you'd've bought a real board!" kinda of thing ...

No, no, you've got it all wrong. This is a FEATURE, it can only help you. That's what FEATURES do. It is their purpose.

Reality:they are useless. There are probably two scenarios in the entire world where they are useful.

• Members

It's a stretch, but I can see one (1) usable purpose: If you're aux driving subs, then 3-4 = 5-6 with the push of a button is somewhat useful (esp. if it functionally lowered the cost of the board by a couple hundred $ by substituting push buttons for 2 more dedicated aux sends).

That's a pretty good idea. You're either sending to the subs or to reverb, but rarely both on the same channel.

I've got a DDA Interface (yes Mark, your old board!) which has that feature. It's definitely a pro board, though a little limited in the channels and auxes by today's standards.

• Members

It's not that stupid when you think about it. It saves money in components, chassis material and shipping space. That's how you get it so cheap.

It gives you the option of 2 more effects or as someone else said aux fed subs.

I know my vocal and instrument delays and reverbs are never the same.

• Members

You need to keep in mind that the efx you put on vox usually need not be applied to instruments. Therefore you can use Aux 5-6 to, for example, set up one or two instrument monitors - thus keeping the instruments out of your vocal monitors. Or use one of 'em for your aux-fed sub mix as stated by Mr. Hellinger above.

OR if you are taking a live recording, you can use them for the instrument feeds into that recording (all on 1 or 2 channels of course).

The moment you start thinking outside the box a bit, many uses for them come to mind.

• Members

It was designed as a recording board 1st: look below the channel numbers 9-16 and you'll see (track 1-track 8). It's designed to be used with 1 ADAT, inputs on CH 1-8, returns on 9-16. Either the direct outs fed the ADAT or the Subgroup outs did (I can't remember if the board had Direct outs though).

Aux 1-2 are for musician monitoring either thru a single stereo (1/L 2/R) or two monos. Aux 3/4 is for feeding a stereo effects unit (stereo input/stereo out) OR the mono to 2 effects units, and these would typically be for vocals horns/strings. Aux 5/6 switch could be engaged to send say a Drum sound to a pair (or single stereo) effects processors. This is when vocals don't need to be sent to the gated verb for snare. THIS board was NOT designed for live use!! It works well as a 2 mix board and forget about the 5/6 thing, just remember why it was designed.

Archived