Subwoofer workout music?

• Members
Download this and use the test tones.

Yah - got that but I want real music to test real world performance as I have no interest in what the system does with "test tones". I'm trying to compare compact subs with a MaxxBass unit vs "real" subs and am trying to find tunes that sound particularly bad on a system that rolls off at 60hz.

• Members

Any particular songs/albums from them?

No certain songs in particular. download some tunes or pickup the cd's. BASS COMPUTER was always the one we used to test the car installs that my buddy and I used to do.

http://www.amazon.com/Techmaster-P.e.b./e/B000AQ0SGK

Techmasters hits harder than most of the Magic Mike stuff but download or buy the cd's.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=dj+magic+mike

• Members
take a power cord, cut of the female end and strip to bare wire. Go directly to the wall outlet with your speaker... Of course at 60hz maybe you need more like 30 or 20.

Bose used to demo their 802's like that - of course they had to defeat the internal protection. 115 * 115 / 8 = 1653 watts - Woo Hoo! And yes, I'm only interested in the below 60hz region. Oh, and thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction.

• Members

One other thing. If you do pick up Bass Computer be sure not to crank it up to begin with. Keep it at a lower volume and listen to the songs first. I learned this lesson the hard way back in the day. Blew out the system we had just installed in a mini truck with 6 18's in it. We lost money on that install, LOL.

I also almost popped 8 brand new LS1208's that the guy I work with bought. We were doing an outdoor gig and I put that cd on when testing the system. It goes LOWWWWWWW.

• Members

Bose used to demo their 802's like that - of course they had to defeat the internal protection. 115 * 115 / 8 = 1653 watts - Woo Hoo! And yes, I'm only interested in the below 60hz region. Oh, and thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction.

Not for very long... like maybe a half-second?

• Members

One other thing. If you do pick up Bass Computer be sure not to crank it up to begin with.

I just picked up a pair of refurb Behringer B412DSP powered speakers and yesterday I drove one about 6db into limiting with this album through a MaxxBass unit in an attempt to blow it up - no joy :lol: . Today I hooked up the second one and after I loosen it up a bit I'll try the same thing sans MaxxBass unit. While it sounds about the same without the MaxxBass unit it is definitely moving the walls quite a bit more. The integral DSP makes these flat down to 45hz and supposedly has excursion and thermal limiting so we'll see if it really works when I crank it up :eek::lol: . At a moderate volume this speaker really doesn't need a sub.

A couple other tunes recommended to me on the "other" prosound forum:

Skream - Sub Island

The Sneaker Pimps - Spin Spin Sugar

The latter seems to have a fair amount of energy down to 30hz :cool: . I'm hoping I can actually verify that the MaxxBass unit extends the perceived bass response.

Yup, big difference with the MaxxBass on. Also with the "Bass Computer" album sans MaxxBass the bass gets "weak" at high volumes as the DSP "dynamic eq" cranks up the HPF - I'm pretty sure that's what it does to limit excursion.

• Members
Not for very long... like maybe a half-second?

I remember it being for 30+ seconds - they claimed it could handle it for quite some time. The drivers are all in series - each one is one ohm. I just checked and the "light bulb" protection circuit is only active at higher frequencies - it is in series with a capacitor that "shorts out" four of the drivers at higher frequencies. Weird speakers indeed! I remember having to "uprate" the fuse to keep them from popping every other gig when driving four of them off a CS800.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived