Phantom power

• Members

My drummer runs both dynamic and condenser mics. The board he's using has phantom power but no on/off for each individual channel. I looked on the Shure website and it stated:

"A balanced dynamic microphone is not affected by phantom power. However, an unbalanced dynamic microphone will be affected. Although the microphone will probably not be damaged, it will not work properly."

Does this mean if it's low impedence XLR that it won't be affected? Are there any other guidelines to prevent any problems/damage to equipment?

• Members

Phantom should be over the XLR inputs only, so if you use the TRS inputs (if app), there *shouldnt* be +48v. But check the manual.

Another tip is to A) not gender bend into the XLR input unless you are sure its done properly or B) the equipment can handle +48v

Also make sure the outputs are turned down when plugging into/out of the jacks with phantom power on :)

• Members

When using phantom power on all inputs make sure there are no 1/4 (other stuff output) to XLR (board side) cables. Common things would be keyboards, wireless mic recievers (1/4 outputs, many newer XLR outputs can handle +48v), effects processors etc.

• Members

In particular the XLR line outs from certain bass amps are known to respond to phantom power by blowing out. When I use a line out from a keyboard or bass amp I always use an XLR to TRS cable at the mixer to use the mixer's line inputs. I've never seen a mixer that had phantom power on its line inputs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Not our amps, they are all fully phantom power protected.
:idea:

yeah but see what happends when you push 48 volts of direct current into a powered speaker :lol:

generally as long as you dont have anything adapted to go into the xlr connectors you should be fine...IE a cd player with RCA-XLR adapters on it.

• Members

yeah but see what happends when you push 48 volts of direct current into a powered speaker
:lol:

If it is phantom power, it would be sourced by the receiving device which would be the powered speaker itself. Some have phantom power available on their INPUTS when the mic switch is selected. In this case, the device DRIVING the powered speaker needs to be phantom power protected.

You need to learn about how these devices work if you are going to make such comments.

• Members

yeah but see what happends when you push 48 volts of direct current into a powered speaker
:lol:

generally as long as you dont have anything adapted to go into the xlr connectors you should be fine...IE a cd player with RCA-XLR adapters on it.

phantom power applied to a speaker would hardly do anything due to current limiting. wouldnt even move the VC i bet.

• Members

phantom power applied to a speaker would hardly do anything due to current limiting. wouldnt even move the VC i bet.

He mentioned powered speaker, the trick is to route phantom power from an input to an input!!!

• Members

No, i know how these devices work

I was setting up a gig where we used a mackie 24:4 connected to EON15s

well we had the phantom power on for the mics we were using, and by a problem with the console we found it also sending the 48 in the outputs

I was making a joke, this obviously wouldn't happen normally. im

• Members

No, i know how these devices work

I was setting up a gig where we used a mackie 24:4 connected to EON15s

well we had the phantom power on for the mics we were using, and by a problem with the console we found it also sending the 48 in the outputs.

{censored}ing impossible.

Archived