Mixer question

• Members

I picked up a Behringer Xenyx unpowered mixer for $25 on ebay (I'm about to buy a talkbox and I'm going to use it though this). My plan is to use the mixer right into our PA system when we play live, but I have a question about using it at home. Since this mixer is unpowered, could I run it through my crate power block and then to my speakers?

Talkbox/mic>mixer>crate power block>main speakers

• Members

Yeah I'm reading the manual right now. I'm a bit confused still...

Will I even need to use the Powerblock? If I plug the mic from the talk box into the mixer, and then hook up my two small PA speakers (unpowered) to the mains output on the mixer will this work?

• Members
Will I even need to use the Powerblock? If I plug the mic from the talk box into the mixer, and then hook up my two small PA speakers (unpowered) to the mains output on the mixer will this work?

If you duck-tape the speakers to your head like a pair of headphones you might hear something if it is real quiet and you have exceptionally good hearing :lol: . If you want any real output from them you need a power amplifier between the mixer and the speakers.

• Members

If you duck-tape the speakers to your head like a pair of headphones you might hear something if it is real quiet and you have exceptionally good hearing
:lol:
. If you want any real output from them you need a power amplifier between the mixer and the speakers.

Yeah I figured...I will probably just use the power block then...I just use it as a backup amplifier as it is, and this whole setup is going to just be for home use...we have an 8ch. Kustom PA mixer we use at practice.

• Members

:thu:

That's what I thought, just wanted to check. Sounds great for a budget practice talk box setup...will have to wait until sunday to see how it sounds through our PA. I got the Danelectro Free Speech talkbox because the Rocktron wouldn't fit on my board...and I don't want to get rid of any of my other pedals :) It actually sounds good if you mic it instead of using the mics that come with the pedal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Wiring question:

instrument wire from mixer to power block

speaker wire from power block to speakers

correct?

im gonna be blunt.

thats common sense

and technically you should be using balanced cable from the mixer to the amplifier either XLR or TRS but your probably not going long distances so you should be fine

• Members

im gonna be blunt.

thats common sense

and technically you should be using balanced cable from the mixer to the amplifier either XLR or TRS but your probably not going long distances so you should be fine

The smaller Behringer mixers are unbalanced out TS only.

Boomerweps

• Members

The smaller Behringer mixers are unbalanced out TS only.

In General, Most mixers have balenced TRS or XLR outputs.

Behringer ren't consistent with the parts they use unlike other manufactures, you never know what you get, thats why the price is so low

Archived