Beta 58 vs Beta 58a

• Members

hey, I just bought a shure "beta 58" mic from a local store. I looked it up online and all I can find is the "beta 58a" I was just wondering what the difference is between them because mine looks exactly like the one online exept for the "a" I also wanted to make 100% sure that it's not one of those shure copies or counterfiets. Also if anyone would like to share their expiriences with these mic's that would be much apreciated,

thanks!

• Members

Does it work without phantom power? If so, it's a fake.

Do a google search and you should find some pics that show how to tell.

Boy, I sure hope they both work withOUT phantom power. If they require phantom power they definately are fake.

We're talking the B-58 and B-58A models here Timmy.

I have one of the early B-58's and the rest are 58a's, I'm not sure I can reliably tell the difference between the two models. The logoplate is a little different.

• Members

The Beta58a is the current version of the Beta58. I was told that the only difference is the transformer - the Beta58 transformer could occasionally overload with a really loud singer.

So oddly enough if the one you bought is somewhat old and worn looking it's likely legit - the Beta58a has been out for a few years and I suspect that's the one that's being counterfeited.

• Members

Yeah, I have one of each and use them both live all the time. Can't tell the difference. Sometimes I THINK I catch little differences... but maybe that's just my head telling me that they're different, haha.

And yeah Scodiddly is probably right about the 58a's being the ones counterfeited.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

My bad! All these numbers get jumbled sometimes. I was thinking of the B87 (the one I don't mind using).

There is the SM87

the Beta 87a

and the Beta 87c

the diffrence between the 2 is the pattern

a- supercardiod

c- cardiod

the SM87 is the step down from the Beta 87a, it doesnt have a neodymium magnet, and its not a sexy blue color

• Members

I read that the SM58s SM57s were the ones being cloned.One way to tell the difference is the real shures have numbered pins in the xlr socket,the fakes do not and the font is a little different and of course if you know what your looking at you can look on the inside.

Never found anything about the Betas being fake,thats not saying they are not out there. One way to be sure you dont get a fake,stay away from the ebay auctions,buy from a legit dealer

• Members

Beta 58 is the model number, and the letter designation is the pick-up pattern. eg cardiod, super-cardioid, hyper-cardiod.

A= super-cardiod

Bob

Scoddiddly had it right. The B58A is the current model, the B58 is an older version. Both models are super-cardioid. Shure has only made the A model for over 10 years to my memory. The original model without the A was only made for a short time because Shure made some minor upgrades to the design.

You are probably thinking of the 87A vs 87C. different patterns.

• Members

Scoddiddly had it right. The B58A is the current model, the B58 is an older version. Both models are super-cardioid. Shure has only made the A model for over 10 years to my memory. The original model without the A was only made for a short time because Shure made some minor upgrades to the design.

You are probably thinking of the 87A vs 87C. different patterns.

Looks like you're bang-on there Steve. I had indeed assumed that there was more than one Beta 58 model available, with different pick-up patterns, and different letter designations. In fact, I'm quite surprised to discover this is not the case, so thanks for clearing that up for me.

You're also bang-on re my thinking of the Beta 87. I bought a Beta 87C (cardiod).

I also have a Beta 58A, and an SM58-LC "uni-directional" (cardiod).

Bob

Archived