Harmony Central Forums
No announcement yet.

simple way to record a band live

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I often wondered about the route that Twostone has mentioned ... using the direct outs of a MixWiz 16:2 mixer into some sort of multitrack recording device....

Does anybody have any experience with this sort of thing? What sorts of recorders (Features? Makes? Models?) would be suitable in this application? I've scanned the Sweetwater catalog and saw only two devices that appeared to fit the bill. There must be more options out there ... and I'm curious what they are.

Does anybody have any experience with this sort of setup? What would be required to make it work well?

I've made recordings from the pre-fade direct outs of my Soundcraft fx16 into a Korg D3200 and gotten some decent results - good enough for my band to make a cheap demo disc for a press pack... Hope this helps,

- georgestrings

There are really 3 ways to do it.

3 - Interface, laptop, software. This gets my vote as the most practical and flexible. For less than the cost of most of the #2 solutions above, you can have a fully functioning laptop that will get the job done (~$600 or less will give you the horsepower you need ). Something like the Tascam US-1641 can be had for $300. Reaper is highly capable multitrack software and a mere $60. So a budget of less than $1000 can get you what you want and you get a shiny new laptop to boot.

What kind of learning curve for a fairly bright,but computer stupid guy like... my friend on this set-up?

What kind of learning curve for a fairly bright,but computer stupid guy like... my friend on this set-up?

I didn't find it all that difficult, but I'm a tinkerer and, having no kids, have the time to play around and figure out things. I've tried several HD recorders over the years, but they were all complicated to use with small screens and pages of menus. PC based recording is just better all around. You're not confined by whatever limitations are on a particular dedicated hardware unit you're using and can make things a simple or complex as you want. Heck, many of the dedicated units are designed to just capture the tracks for subsequent import and mixdown into a computer anyway.

If you want drop dead simple multitrack recording then it doesn't get any easier than a Presonus StudioLive. One firewire cable for hook up to a PC and literally 2-3 clicks of the mouse and you're recording 16 channels. You can record each track fully processed or raw and then run them back through the mixer for mix down. It's like you get a second shot at mixing the show. Actually a great way to get a good mix and sound because the board you're using live is the same one you're mixing the recording from.
        PA: JBL PRX712, PRX718XLF, RCF 745-A, 522-A, 310A, A&H Qu-16
        Lights: AMDJ Dotz TPAR, Haze Generator, Chauvet GigBAR
        www.nextexitrocks.com | wedding band | Columbus, OH | VIDEO

With emphasis on "simple", we use a Tascam DR-1 mounted to a mic stand.

Back with a report on the Numark Idec iPod interface. It's really stupid simple to use and can provide decent recordings directly off of a two track out on a board. The hard part about using this is is getting the output from the board low enough so that it doesn't overdrive the input on the ipod. You're basically utilizing the "voice memo" portion of your ipod. I've found it easy enough on my larger system where thing don't get driven quite so hard but on the smaller systems where things are pushed a little more it peaks rather easily. After addressing the gain structure of those systems (which no doubt needs to be looked at anyway) I'll be looking for a simple stereo attenuator to put in front of the Idec so I can pull it back when I want to. Over all the recording was acceptable for review/game tape applications. As most of everything recorded is mono with the exception of a stereo reverb on the snare and another and a delay on the vocal things were a little, I don't know, mono sounding. But the snare, which has its own reverb really opened up when it was applied, leading me to believe that with a little work this device could produce some really nice sounding tracks, but only as good as what's put into it. Unlike muti-tracking, there are no second chances at the mix. But for $300 you get a damn nice rack mounted interface that will record a decent stereo mix. One problem I had was that the unit is only 2ru, but the iPod actually sticks above that by an inch or two into what ever is above it, making it nesessary to plan ahead a little making sure that it won't hit or be in the way of any controls needed on the fly. I'd be interested in stereo attenuator suggestions. I'll check Audiopile and RDL Labs and post anything I find to be useful here.
            One more time kids; equalizers are not cross overs, vocal mics are not cymbal mics and pan knobs are not three position switches. As you were.

I use an HP laptop with 2 Presonus FP-10's for 16 tracks. I just use the inserts or direct outs on the channels depending on what the board has to offer. If I am lazy I will only take one unit and record 8 tracks, which is usually more than enough for a rock band. Usually you can sub mix some of the drum kit to one track. I used to take a Tascam DA88 which you can still find used for $150 and they will record 8 tracks for 2 hours which is nice. They are easy to mix back through the board or dump to computer. It's not a bad method and very cheap and simple, especially if you aren't thrilled with computers.

for multi track the alesis HD24 is about the best bang for the buck, comes out of the box with BOTH analog and ADAT lightpipe, a 500$+ option on the other.

you just link the direct outs to the alesis and go!

Fr editing I use a computer, and in this respect, you really do need the "fire port" interface to down load the datat from teh drive (about 250$), you CAN trasfer over FTP , but is is base 10 spped, .. and so a 8 hour show, with 24 tracks takes about 2.5-3 days to trasfer over. (no you didn't read that wrong...). It uses IDE drives that are getting just a little bit hard ot find. but cheap as hell.
                -token canadian

Lest we forget: double-blind tests make audiophiles look twice as stupid. CRAIG V 2007

Just for fun, what do you think would happen if you decided to take a nap in the fast lane of a freeway? agedhorse -2008

Funny, I'll bet I have a good one sitting on my shelf. agedhorse -2008

Take a look at the Presonus firestudio. Not Firestudioproject Great sounding 8 track interface. You can also add to it by chaining a simular unit called the digimax to it. It adds more pre amps as you need them...pretty cool. I have used the direct outs on A&H GL series boards with great results.

The OP asked for the best option for his small festival using his MixWiz 16:2...

...assuming that you're mic'ing everything through the MixWiz and you're using the FOH mix for the majority of what the audience hears (meaning that you're not just using the FOH to balance out the stage volume coming from the performers' amps, etc.), and know what you're doing with the MixWiz... then just recording direct with your FOH signal to a CD-R recorder or two track interface into a computer should be fine.

If you ARE just using the FOH to balance the stage volume then get a pair of small condensers and record the show from the audience's perspective. You can do this from the MixWiz if you have two strips free and just run those to a pair of aux sends and record from that...

If someone were wanting to do this from scratch and needing to buy the gear to do it, I'd advise that they look into the Phonic Helix firewire mixers on the low end (under $700) or the Presonus StudioLive on the high end (under $2,000). Either will allow recording of individual tracks to hard disk for mixdown later and the StudioLive can even be your hardware interface for mixdown.

Yes, I could have listed the FirePod/FP10/Studio/Whatever... but the OP asked for a simple way to do this... not one that involves monkeying with a TRS snake using direct outs, etc.
                    Where the Mississippi River runs west...

I don't know what your budget is, but I recommend the Zoom H4n (new version of the H4). It will let you record both the built in microphones and a stereo line input (like a 2 channel output from your mixwiz). You can the adjust levels between the two stereo recordings directly on the H4n, or you can hook it up via USB and dump the two .wav files onto your computer, and mix them together in the bundled Cubase LE software.

In the 4ch mode (described above) the H4n will however only record in .wav format (no mp3). So make sure you have a big SD card (mine is 16 GB).

I've recorded with mine, and you get good results when you mix the two signals.
                      Best Regards
                      Karsten Pedersen