Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOAD has always been awful live, IMO.

Oh, really now?

Comment

They're not singing anywhere near in key, which I suppose is kinda their thing, the guitar parts are quite often wrong, and unless Serj is just standing still, he's off.

Besides, using a "live video" shot specifically for TV/DVD with multiple camera angles and I'm guessing there's at least a decent amount of processing done to the sound, is quite a bit different from someone shooting video of them at a live gig.

Cool stage set though.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">How about a mother****************ing crocodile pit instead of those titty ****************s !</font><br />
      <br />
      <br />
      <font size="1"><i>Last edited by Jazz Ad on 06-20-2004 at 098 PM</i></font></div>

Comment

i've noticed that a lot of the off-keyness seems to happen when a singer does a lot of switching between high screaming and low melodic stuff, especially with SOAD and the deftones. i imagine this type of singer is a sound engineer's worst nightmare. how can someone like this make their vocals easier to mix both out front and in the monitors? i've seen maynard from tool use 2 different mics: one 'clean' and the other distorted. is this a good idea? or is a low melodic voice simply not loud enough to cut through the wall of drums and amp noise onstage? or is that style of singing just that much harder to pull off live?

p.s. i feel pretty bad for serj (SOAD's lead singer) sometimes. i bet it's hard to sing in key when your guitarist is flubbing every other note. i feel like an old fart for saying this but sufferin jesus, every once in a while can't you just shut up, stand there, and play yer damn guitar?

Comment

Oh, really now?

Whew, some of those guitar parts sounded pretty rough. I like the band, but damn, that's bad.

Comment

As far as that ATDI video goes, that was right before they broke up. Cedric and Omar (lead singer and lead guitarist) were almost surely completely blown out of their minds on drugs and there was a lot of tension in the band. In the beginning, Omar completely misses his cue and plays the beginning lead part like 2 beats off. The rhythm section of ATDI was always spot on, but Cedric and Omar, despite being considered the two most talented members of the group, often really screwed up their live sound. That said, they were also very entertaining to watch on stage, so they made up for a lot of their sloppiness.

Comment

In fact, if you look at the ATDI video at around 1:59, you can see Jim Ward clearly looking at Cedric and Omar in disgust. Sadly, you can sense the tension in a lot of their later live stuff.

Comment

what i like about cedric is that he manages to pull off all the crazy running around stuff and still hits his notes. maybe it's because he doesn't do a lot of switching between ranges/timbres in the course of a song and his voice is pretty high (some would say piercingly high) so it cuts through.

omar's performance in this clip is terrible, tho. i think a guitarist really needs to pick his spots when it comes to rockin out, because as a rhythm player, if you're off time, the whole band sounds like crap.

-10000000 to guitards who can't keep it together onstage.

Comment

Working...
                X