Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't stomach that music, I'm sorry. I like many styles of music but not hip hop or rap.
    this sig no verb

Comment

I can't stomach that music, I'm sorry. I like many styles of music but not hip hop or rap.

I second that emotion!!

Comment

Living in an urban area in which 75% of black males don't graduate from high school, I think hip hop/rap can provide a outlet for expression that can be either good or bad, depending on the artist. I have worked with a number of Christian artists that give a positive influence and message that connects with kids who would otherwise be unreachable through other means. Even though I don't personally go out of my way to listen to this music, I really can't just dismiss the good along with the bad. Instead I try to help raise the quality of the performance by talking with the musicians when I can to give them honest feedback and suggestions. Some are willing to listen, others not, then I focus on those who do and ignore the ones who don't. All I can do is control any bias I have against the music and focus on improving the audio quality if they are receptive.

Comment

The venue was packed. About 300+ people dressed like they all shopped at the same Discount world in Lakewood (us pac NW people will understand this). About 30% white kids, which I thought was low considering marysville is a small town. i did 3 wedges on 2 mixes and found that the rappers didn't really need a whole lot but I did mix sorta loud on stage. Feedback wasn't an issue anyway, feeling like the building may come down was. The venue was packed all night and the stage had as many as 20+ people on it and that's about all it could hold, it was a small stage.

Luckliy the DJ booth had an Eon on a stick facing right at them, that helped a lot on my end, they could f that up and I wouldn't be worried about it.

In the end, no gear was damaged, nothing missing, paid in cash, no major fights, no cops rushing in.

My SRX 728s were cross rented and used at another of the promoters events the next night. They came back with more scuffs, alcohol dripping down one side, still in working order. My buddy picked them up for me and when he arrived there were 6 cop cars, guys in bullet proof vests holding batons just waiting, waiting for trouble. AFAIK no shots were fired, no real brawls but the cops were nervous.
          www.rock-bot.com
          Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

One last thing. I ended up (stupidly) using a 50' 12ga, connected to a 14ga 25' connected to a 16ga 15' AC run for lighting. 600w dys, 8 cans, 2 dimmer packs (per 4), run at 60% to draw less than 20A total. The jacket of the 16ga cable melted just a little to itself when it was coiled 2 turns to take up slack. Today I'm going thru all cable and putting the small stuff away for good...
            www.rock-bot.com
            Live-Band-Karaoke

Comment

If you did not hear, "Yo, Mister Soundman. Turn that **************** up!". You did not mix a rap show.

I've learned to keep the master or aux fed subs back -6dB until I get that queue.

Veteran of shows by Ghostface, Luciano and many others. (The ones that actually showed up to their own show.)
              "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused."

www.scredco.com - Gear and FOR SALE list on my web site.

Clips: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=777819

Comment

Oh yeah, I heard it. Didn't do anything about it except turn up the monitors though...
                www.rock-bot.com
                Live-Band-Karaoke

Comment

One last thing. I ended up (stupidly) using a 50' 12ga, connected to a 14ga 25' connected to a 16ga 15' AC run for lighting. 600w dys, 8 cans, 2 dimmer packs (per 4), run at 60% to draw less than 20A total. The jacket of the 16ga cable melted just a little to itself when it was coiled 2 turns to take up slack. Today I'm going thru all cable and putting the small stuff away for good...

Hmm - been awhile since I brushed up on my theory but I think your 600w bulbs may still be drawing 5amps per - just not constant since the dimming circuit is chopping up the wave so a minimum 12 ga cable is still required for each bank of 4.
                  Putting 2 bulbs in series would drop the current load.
                  Vyizder Zomenimor Orziz Aziz Zanerz Orziz

Comment

I too, did my 1st (and now LAST) h-h-rap on fri.
                    ended up shutting all levels down, no gain, mains @ -20, amp gains less than a third.
                    oh yeah got it too-"Yo, Mister Soundman. Turn that **************** up!"----He had a numark mixer (pos) mixing from 4 sources, laptop, ipod, cd's and thumb drive, with so many dif levels. He pegged his volume and kept clipping my soundcraft 8 channel.
                    So I went on stage set his volume to a little less than half, pulled knob off, put gaf tape on post and told him if I see you reach volume again show is over!
                    Then 15 mins later got rained out.....

Comment

Hmm - been awhile since I brushed up on my theory but I think your 600w bulbs may still be drawing 5amps per - just not constant since the dimming circuit is chopping up the wave so a minimum 12 ga cable is still required for each bank of 4.
                      Putting 2 bulbs in series would drop the current load.

The cable would see the average current or (theoretically) 60% of the full load current. (note that most dimmers use a square law dimming curve)
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

At 77% par cans would see 50% of total power, at 60% fader I was pretty sure i wouldn't blow a 15a circut (didn't). BUT the 16ga cable fed BOTH dimmer packs and is definitly not rated for that current.
                        www.rock-bot.com
                        Live-Band-Karaoke

Comment

ended up shutting all levels down, no gain, mains @ -20, amp gains less than a third.
                          oh yeah got it too-"Yo, Mister Soundman. Turn that **************** up!"----He had a numark mixer (pos) mixing from 4 sources, laptop, ipod, cd's and thumb drive, with so many dif levels. He pegged his volume and kept clipping my soundcraft 8 channel.
                          So I went on stage set his volume to a little less than half, pulled knob off, put gaf tape on post and told him if I see you reach volume again show is over!

I knew I'd have the same problem so that's where the hard limiter comes in handy. Also having a PAD on each channel really helps too, when the source gets to hot, engage the pad and work farther down from there.

If the DJ wants to play the clipping game let him, no reason to push your system to the limits. Back off the extreme low and high end a bit to compensate for the horrid bass/treble boost and sit back. The system will sound worse and worse but not because of you, because of mr DJ. I let DJ's know in advance of this too so there aren't any suprises.

NYE I had an awful gig where I didn't strap a limiter across the DJ input and the amp they fried is STILL in repair. I was not present for the killing of the poor amp, I was very aware of it when I got an angry phone call that eve.
                          www.rock-bot.com
                          Live-Band-Karaoke

Comment

That's funny!

But seriously, I'd be worried that he (or one of his goons) would want to "cap" me for that!!

Comment

I did a Rap show once.
                              I quickly learned that I should never accept another Rap show again.

Support your fellow HC members!
                              PTD-1
                              For Cables & Racks, Roadcases and Case Hardware : Audiopile.net
                              For Vocal help: Vocal Forum Moderator Al Koehn's The Secrets of Successful Singing,

Originally Posted by agedhorse

You can't bridge these amps (yay).

Comment

At 77% par cans would see 50% of total power, at 60% fader I was pretty sure i wouldn't blow a 15a circut (didn't). BUT the 16ga cable fed BOTH dimmer packs and is definitly not rated for that current.

Wow I didn't catch you ran all 8 off the 16 ga extension.
                                Vyizder Zomenimor Orziz Aziz Zanerz Orziz

Comment

Working...
                                X