One Speaker Model Multiple Configs

• Members

Our praise band will be making the switch to all powered speakers soon, mostly to reduce the number of ways unsupervised band members can hook things up incorrectly.:poke:

For mains and subs, we are considering RCFs, QSC K Class, and a few others - although leaning strongly toward the QSCs.

We play a wide variety of forums, from small indoor to modest outdoor, and I would LOVE to have all one type of FOH speaker, and just "add speakers" when we need wider coverage/more volume....in a tiny chapel we might run one QSC, outdoors in the park, we'd hook up four and a sub or two...

What factors are involved in determining if speakers work effectively in multiples? Are there certain dispersion characteristics or something I should look at to see if a speaker lends itself to having a brother positioned to it's left and right and not causing combing and other problems?

I believe this is the domain or arrays, but those are simply out of our price range....

• Members

I believe this is the domain or arrays, but those are simply out of our price range....

If a type of tool exists that is the right tool for the job, then generally that type of tool is the most cost effective type of tool.

I have a motorcycle which was fairly inexpensive to buy, and is fairly cheap to own & operate, and is easy to find parking spaces to fit into... and I like all those attributes... but it's lousy to haul sound gear with.

• Members

Adding speakers ALWAYS is a compromise. Question is ... is it one you can live with?

The basic idea is to have only a single speaker cover a specific area. So you might have a short throw unit for close and a long throw unit for far. You could also use a pair side by side for more horizontal coverage. This usually works best when they are stacked one on top of the other and then splayed for wider horizontal. You pay a penalty in the vertical coverage but that usually isn't a problem.

Best candidates are those with tight pattern control over a broader range. Look at the polars. They usually aren't very good unless the horns are very large. I would avoid conical horns altogether. This seems to be the way new products are designed ... either conical or say 70 x 70 degrees. I don't get it? Yes you can turn it sideways and use it as a monitor but to me it means you have a compromise in BOTH directions. One size doesn't fit all:thu:

Archived