Clip on Fan

• Members

I don't have any photos just yet, but I've been building custom fans for my drummers.

Took this fan:

51tzFWNJDGL._SS500_.jpg

...and this lighting fixture clamp:

379635.jpg

....a length of 1/2" tubing from Home Depot and a 1/4"x1" bar, welding a new base frame with a bolt hole through the bar, swapping it on the fan with 1/4" bolts, attaching the new frame to the lighting clamp, and clamping the assembly to their drum racks' vertical legs.

They LOVE it. Don't need to take up floorspace with a big box fan, goes up and comes down with their racks, sits right next to them and can aim exactly where they want it, 3 speed fan so they can get it just right, and both of them told me I should start building a bunch of these to sell to drummers around town. I'll see about getting a photo or two for ya to see how this works...

• Members

I thought about doing something to make a custom one, but I figured $22 shipped for a Vornado is a good price anyway (you can pick them up for like $29 from Newegg with free shipping after the Woot deal runs out), and I'm never going to get around to fabricating something myself.

If I was going to do something, I'd build one into the bottom of my drum riser. If we had the room in the trailer, I'd take apart a home window air conditioning unit, mount it below the riser, and have it vent up through the top... would be {censored}ing sweet.

• Members

Well, this little guy moves more air on 2 than either of them thought they needed, and that clamp is far more reliable and sturdy than a clip-on base like in that Vornado. They both complained about previous fans. So the idea popped up.

It could be even easier than how I did it, to modify this fan with just a piece of flat bar stock and three holes. If you're up to the challenge.

Or I just sell you one. AHHA!!!

Archived