Best pricing on SRX 728S subs...

• Members

I am SO not good at wheelin' and dealin'. Everytime I buy something, someone says, "Dude, I could've got that for $----.--"! So before I walk into Guitar Center, Sweetwater or whatever, I thought I'd ask first if anyone knows where I can get the best price on a pair of SRX 728S subs?

I've decided my rig is the weakest in the low end region. So that's what I'm going to upgrade first. I won't quite have enough money to buy an RMX 4050HD out right. Someone here has already given me a KILLER price on a 4050HD, but I'll have to do the 'ol American Musical Supply payment plan to get the 4050HD.

I hate the weight but I can't deny the result. I've recently been mixing on an SRX rig (725's & 728's) and the 728's just whoop my four MP418S subs. I mixed on a pair that was run off a K2 in stereo. Then I mixed the same configuration with a 4050HD on the 728's - DANG!

So, anybody know the best price I can get on a pair?

Thanks...

• Members

I paid $1000 each (new) a few years back when they first came out. JBL has had a price increase since. I drove them with Crown K2's in bridged mono.

However, if you plan on keeping your subs for a long time and don't care so much about resale, I recommend a better sounding and constructed double 18 sub in the same price range, the Grund Audio GT3600. Yeap, Grund as in Grundorf cases. You will be in for a BIG surprise when you listen to the GT3600 properly driven by a good amp.

These are no DJ subs and will run circles around the 728s as far as output, tightness, and being able to go low and rock the house, I kid you not. The cabinets are very, very well constructed (cabinet construction is the 728s' weakest point -- quite poor IMO). They have castors so you can move them easily. They use 1000W B&C drivers. Just ignore the stigma attached to the Grundorf name. I first bought them in 1997 -- they've been making speakers for a long time.

http://www.grundorf.com/index.php?Type=SOUN&Application=GTS&Model=GT-3600CX

• Members

I paid $1000 each (new) a few years back when they first came out. JBL has had a price increase since. I drove them with Crown K2's in bridged mono.

However, if you plan on keeping your subs for a long time and don't care so much about resale, I recommend a better sounding and constructed double 18 sub in the same price range, the Grund Audio GT3600. Yeap, Grund as in Grundorf cases. You will be in for a BIG surprise when you listen to the GT3600 properly driven by a good amp.

These are no DJ subs and will run circles around the 728s as far as output, tightness, and being able to go low and rock the house, I kid you not. The cabinets are very, very well constructed (cabinet construction is the 728s' weakest point -- quite poor IMO). They have castors so you can move them easily. They use 1000W B&C drivers. Just ignore the stigma attached to the Grundorf name. I first bought them in 1997 -- they've been making speakers for a long time.

http://www.grundorf.com/index.php?Type=SOUN&Application=GTS&Model=GT-3600CX

Well, I think I'm just gonna stick with JBL. I personally think the EV QRX stuff sounds better. I finally heard 4 JTR Growlers and they just destroyed!

But see, here in central Indiana, even if you load in some JBL JRX people just start freakin'! You can hear them as you roll your speakers in. You hear say, "Oh dud, he's got the JBL's"! Yes, I hate it but this is all I do to make money.

The JBL gear snob-ness is alive and well here. I just found out about 2 more shows I didn't get because I'm weak in the low end area. The most popular cover band (The Flying Toasters) in Central Indiana has a two on two SRX rig (725's & 728S's). One night I talked to someone in their crew about the rig. He told me, "yeah, there's better stuff out there but we sell this act as an event. And when people know you're slingin' a JBL rig, it just puts you a couple steps ahead".

That's just how it is here. So after I get the 728S subs and later get a pair of SRX 722's, I'll cry inside thinking about what could've been or how much better QRX 212/75's & 218S's, or JTR Growlers & Triple 12X's would've sounded. But I can always dry my tears on the checks I'll be depositing...

Man, that was the corniest thing I've ever said...:facepalm:

• Members

Curious as to what the weak point of the 728's construction is. The predecessor was a very well made cabinet. Also is there anywhere one can find specs (meaningful) for the gt3600s' ?

The SRX728s is inferior in construction to its predecessor (4719x). The cabinet is not well braced (actually, there is no bracing internally), and the way they implemented the tuned ports (rectangular opening split at the top) weakens the front which is normally one piece of MDF with cutouts for the drivers and tuned ports. The SRX728s resonate a lot more because it's not as solid of a cabinet. You here that in booming low end. I had to open mine up and put braces in before it was acceptable to me. I think most owners of both the 4719x and 728s can attest to that. Next time you see one, just hit the sides and top with the bottom of your fist and you'll know what I mean.

I only got the 728s because like the original OP, they were requested. Sometimes you have to give the customer what they want. No problem, as they paid for themselves in 4 gigs. But they are nothing special to me -- there are much better constructed and sounding double 18's out there in the same price range.

• Members

I have not seen any problems with the SRX700 series subs in terms of quality or construction or performance at all. None. IMO, they are one of the best products on the market in that size/weight class. It's also one of the best sounding 18" drivers on the market.

I do not believe it's MDF, from what I could see it looked like a composite structural material with fibers, but I was not able to take the liberty of cutting or drilling into the material as the customer would have minded... a lot.

• Members

No doubt the drivers in the 728s are extremely good -- the subs are worth it just for the drivers alone, never mind the cabinets. Yes, that does make the 728s a good value.

Drivers aside, if you compare the construction of the 728s to its predecessor, it is my opinion that the 4719x cabinet is structurally more sound (solid) and better braced. You can feel and hear the difference when you slam your fist on it. It doesn't have that beaming ping or resonant that the 728S has. Does that affect sound quality? Having owned and used both of them, I say yes. I get better defined bass out of the 4719x than the 728S, which can sound beamy. Definitely the 4719x go noticeably lower than the 728S.

I also own the JBL VS125HS. Maybe not a fair comparison as these were designed to be flyable, but the 728S is inferior in construction.

For what it's worth, JBL advertises the 728S as contructed of 13-ply Birch, but when I removed the grill, plate, handles, and drivers, I couldn't tell.

Many people are very happy with the 728S. I was disappointed with the cabinet construction and lack of internal bracing, and its beamy, less defined bass. I must be expecting too much for this price range. But IMO the Grund GT3600, at exactly the same price point, is much better made and sounds a lot tighter.

We all have different opinions...

• Members

I have the 728's and while the bacing may seem sparse it apparently does fine the way it is. It flat out is a great sub. Goes deeper than the Sp128's I have loaded with 2242's and gets a wee bit louder too. The SP128 though is a smaller enclosure to be fair, I like them both.

Thanx to Alan Roberts (!!) I got my pair on craigslist for a great deal.

Archived