Wharfedale -- bang for the buck?

• Members

I have a pair of Wharfedale powered studio monitors that I like a lot and am considering their dual 15" woofer passive speakers (model SVP-215) for small venue live use.

For $700 a pair new, is this a great deal, or just a great way to waste my money?

Wharfedale rarely gets mentioned around here -- is that because they're under the radar or because they suck?

Thanks!

• Members

A dual 15 cab with a horn crossover point of 3.2k does not seem like it will be a winning package sound-wise.

Actually, none of the published verbage seem to indicate quality. Especially at that price point.

Wharfdale doesn't get much mention because they are a U.K. brand, with somewhat limited U.S. distribution, most of whose products fall in a very competitive and already over-saturated market segment. They make a number of decent offerings.

• Members

To clarify about the crossover issue -- do you think the frequency of the crossover point is too high?

Yes -- for that design of cab.

It is an indicator that there are some serious design compromises that have been made to meet a price point. Namely, they're using a small format horn in a cab design that really benefits from a lower crossover point.

The relative performance plusses/minuses of this style of this type of budget "big box" speaker have been discussed here many times. I believe they are aimed at entry-level buyers who are largely basing their purchasing decision on how loud they think the speaker looks.

• Members

Thanks for the input.

Well, I'm definitely interested less in a monstrous muddy bass sound and am more interested in a balanced, accurate sound, although, since I do predominantly electronic pieces, the bass really has to feel right for the overall intended effect to happen.

My local store just got some in -- actually they seem to have replaced their Peavey line with these -- I'll check them out.

I want to like them as the price is so right, and as I've said, I really like the Wharfedale monitors I have in my studio, so.......

Who knows, maybe ellipitical waveguide technology (ooooo, aaaah) will be my friend to the end.....

• Members

Well, I'm definitely interested less in a monstrous muddy bass sound and am more interested in a balanced, accurate sound, although, since I do predominantly electronic pieces, the bass really has to feel right for the overall intended effect to happen.

I think you're going to need some subs if that's what you're after. Perhaps some 12's over 18's? I think that would suit you a lot better than dual 15's.

• Members

What do you think of a two-12, one-18 configuration, as in one 18 inch sub with two 12's?

Sound quality wise, it can sound fine, but from an output point of view, the 2 12's will usually outrun the single 18", unless the 18 is in a high efficiency cabinet or the 12's are really low output.

If this is for home/small gigs, then a single 12" over a single 18" will be fine. if you are looking to do larger rooms or step outdoors, then you will want a dual 18" sub or a horn loaded sub (like a Danley Sound Labs product).

• Members

The relative performance plusses/minuses of this style of this type of budget "big box" speaker have been discussed here many times. I believe they are aimed at entry-level buyers who are largely basing their purchasing decision on how loud they think the speaker looks.

Agreed, I have never seen a 2x15 2 way cab at a low price point that had any other use than to look loud. :)

Wharfdale makes some decent speakers at reasonable prices but this is not one of them. If you really need to keep your budget low, can't afford subs yet, and plan to play really small gigs, look at a 1x15 2 way. From Wharfdale or another company. You might do better waiting to buy good subs rather than buying cheap ones now.

Archived