Insert distortion on MixWiz3 16:2 on Channel 3

• Members

I get this distortion crackling noise on Channel 3 on 1 of my MixWiz3 16:2 boards when I have anything inserted. I checked the compressor and the cable and they are fine. When the insert is pulled it's fine. If you hit the mic with enough signal is will sound clean but as soon and the level drop it will drop into crackling fuzzy distortion. So I'm thinking cold solders joints from the jack to the board on channel 3. I guess it could be the actual jack itself too. I haven't pulled it apart yet. If I remember correctly when I was last in there setting jumper options each channel strip is it's own board. I can't remember how the jacks attach to the channel strips though from memory. So, before I tear the board out of the rack and take a look I figured I would run it past the forum for thoughts and ideas.

Thanks!

J

• Members

Curious.

The + is the only signal that is interrupted by use of the insert, so it has to be the + (as opposed to the ground). However when nothing is inserted, the signal goes through the same solder joint as the inserted signal, plus an additional one. So if anything, if there's going to be a problem, it should be when nothing is inserted. Are you certain that it works fine with nothing inserted?

• Members

Curious.

The + is the only signal that is interrupted by use of the insert, so it has to be the + (as opposed to the ground). However when nothing is inserted, the signal goes through the same solder joint as the inserted signal, plus an additional one. So if anything, if there's going to be a problem, it should be when nothing is inserted. Are you certain that it works fine with nothing inserted?

Yes, works perfectly with nothing inserted.

• Members

Have you changed what you're instering? could be the cable, the comp, etc...

Yes, changed the cables and compressor, still the same. That's why I'm thinking it could only be the jack itself or the solder points.

Archived