PRX518S subwoofer

• Members

The PRX is the only good 18 in. powered sub I can find that is light. How does it stack up against the heavier QSCHPR181i, YorkvilleLS800P, and Mackie SWA1801z? Is it worth it for the weight?

thanks

• CMS Author

If weight is an important consideration, you should compare it with other subs at the same weight. It doesn't matter whether the other subs are better or not if they aren't really in consideration due to their weight. Or are they in consideration?

The PRX is a very good sub for the money, and weight.

• Members

The Mackies are 'boomy'... the PRX is very good but doesn't push as hard as the QSC. The QSC's are very very crisp and tight bass response. Haven't heard the LS800p's -- didn't demo them since they are HUGE and won't fit into our cargo van with the rest of our equipment.

• Members

Maybe JBL is still behind on updating for their new product, but the PRX718 has the exact same published frequency response chart as the PRX518 while claiming a lower frequency response in it's specifications. Certainly not the first time a manufacturer got ahead of themselves though.

It does have higher power handling and hence higher SPL, it will be interesting to see what the real response is. Over all, it looks like another good product though.

Winston

• Members

I think I might go with HPR 12 tops over HPR 18 subs. I've found some killer deals, plus rebates and it'll only be like, 2600 for the pair of both! Add in an A&H Mixwiz 16:2 and I've got a sick PA for 3500.

• Members

Excellent choices.... On our smaller gigs we run the HPR12's as tops with one hpr 18 sub.... PLENTY of volume for up to 200 people.

Our HPR153 pair over HPR181 pair setup can accomodate up to 500 people with ease.

You can't go wrong with that setup you listed... especially at that price!!!

Archived