Any ideas anyone how to fix this one ??

• Members

I'm a guitartist in a duo, we use backing tracks into an Allen&Heath Zedfx12 then into two JBL PRX512Ms and a yorkville LS700P.

I have two electrics (both with humbuckers) I plug into a ZOOM G7 and then direct to the PA. They sound awesome and have no problem. My friend has the same setup but uses a Gibson LP and his sound is too "hot" - it distorts no matter what settings I try on the PA or the Zoom G7 unit itself (setting it for line level or Gtr amp level makes no difference).

My Fiance just bought me a Gibson Explorer (love that girl) as a gift and I plugged it in and damn - same problem.

I thought the wiring in my friends LP must have been suspect but it seems the way Gibsons are setup is just too 'hot' for the ZOOM G7.

Any ideas short of getting a new FX/Amp simulator ??

• Members

You can put a DI box which has a pad/attenutation switch in between the guitar and the processor.

I highly recommend Whirlwind DI boxes -- they sound superb and are so well built they'll last forever. Pretty much all of Whirlwind's DI's, except for the cheapest ones, feature selectable pads, although the different models seem to differ in how much attenudation (15dB, 20dB, 30dB, 40dB). I would go with a 2 channel unit that gives you 15dB pad, which is probably just what you need.

http://www.whirlwindusa.com/dirbox.html

• Members

Never mind about the DI boxes: your Zoom, like most guitar processors, does not have balanced inputs, so DI boxes won't do you any good since they have balanced XLR outs. (I guess you could use a balanced XLR to unbalanced 1/4" cable, but that would be a waste of a good DI).

I'm not a guitar player, but there's got to be affordable guitar attenuators out there.

Another thing that would work is a high quality guitar/keyboard volume pedal like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/143492-REG/Korg_XVP10_XVP10_Keyboard_Expression_Volume_Pedal.html

Archived