Anyone ever used a behringer Autocom 402? (old unit)

• Members

I bought this thing off of craigslist today, an OLD behringer autocom 402. It's laid out like a DBX 160 with a threshold, ratio and output knobs only (2 channel). The metering is gain reduction only, i/o's are 1/4 TRS (or TS?).

It was cheap, I've never heard of one of these. So I'll put it in the ol FOH rack and try it out...

• Members

Ive got a theater I do work at that has 4 MDX1600 (the OLD Behringer comps). They are still all running solid after years and years, I think B gear used to be built a little better. Either that or they just happened to end up with the 1 out of 5 chance 4 times in a row.

• Members

I've come to the conclusion that if it's made before 1999 or 2000 that it's much better than anything nowadays. I have one old Behringer 4ch comp at the club and it's an old one. Still going strong, works great and doesn't color the sound.

Put it in your rack and try it out. Put it on an insert and insert it into the FOH main out. Of course, not for the gig. Just run a cd or something through the PA with it inserted, no compression. Plug & unplug the insert to see if it colors the sound or not. Then play with the compression settings and see how sensitive or unsensitive it is. This is how I test to see if something is changing the sound in any way that I don't want it to.

• Members

I put in the FOH rack today, power cord was attached, not IEC sio it took a couple extra minutes. It replaced a DBX knockoff, an LAX CL2000 which works and sounds like the 266s above it. I'll play with it on the next gig, if it sux I've got 6ch of DBX comps to get me thru :).

Archived