Have Any Experience with a Audio Technica ATM 710 Condenser Mike?

• Members

Does anyone have any experience with a Audio Technica ATM 710 Condenser Mike? I'm seriously considering one for a live performance mike and I've read a few reviews and apparently these mikes are used at some major music shows (CMA/R&R Hall of Fame) and I guess this is all Kenny Chesney uses but would like to see if anybody still playing the club scene has used them.

Thoughts appreciated!

• Members

While I don't play the club circuit, I do own a professional production company and am extremely pleased with the performance of the AT710. It is one of our "go to" mics for vocal reproduction.

:thu::thu: Two thumbs up.

• Members

While I don't play the club circuit, I do own a professional production company and am extremely pleased with the performance of the AT710. It is one of our "go to" mics for vocal reproduction.

:thu:
:thu: Two thumbs up.

How does the ATM 710 do on LOUD stages? How's the rejection? I've been very interested in these microphones...

• Members

How does the ATM 710 do on LOUD stages? How's the rejection? I've been very interested in these microphones...

Well, I just bought one from poster 'Bill' above and he gave me a great price, shipped it next day and I used the mike for the first time last nite.

I couldn't be happier. Crisp, clear vocal reproduction that REALLY cuts thru the mix. As it is a condenser, 'mike technique' was a breeze. Didn't have to be 'mugging' the mike at all times which is helpful to me as I play lead guitar/lead vocals and do the front man thing so I'm moving around a bit. (I play in a fairly loud classic rock band, use a Marshall stack, etc.) Most importantly, I could concentrate on SINGING as opposed to 'projecting' enough to cut thru the mix. As I could actually hear my voice and vocal nuances better, it was SO much easier to sing. Not only easier, but much more fun playing with vocal 'nuances' when you can hear them! It is a very sensitive mike and it will feedback (I don't know how you can avoid feedback using stage monitors with ANY mike if you push them over the edge) but I thought it was easier to control and I got more gain/clarity with less feedback which was why I bought the SM57A Beta in the first place. ( That was the Shure claim: more gain/less feedback)

I sold a new SM57A BETA to purchase the Audio Technica. The SM57 BETA was a good vocal mike also but it can't compare to the ATM 710 stage condenser. The AT actually looks just like a SM57Beta except that it's a very cool black color. Built just as tough as any Shure I've used. Quite frankly, a SM57/SM58 or the 57/58 Beta models can't keep up with this mike for vocals in my opinion. I haven't actually been able to compare it to the Shure SM87 or 87Beta stage use condenser mikes, but I'm willing to bet that it is at least a comparable microphone at a much better price. I also prefer the 'cardiod' pattern to the Beta 'super cardiod' setup as it's just easier to place monitors in tight situations.

I'm probably going to buy a couple more from Bill if I can get my cheap assed bass player and drummer to part with a little bit of cash!

I can't say I'll NEVER go back to using a dynamic microphone again but, at this point unless someone comes up with some new technology, I seriously doubt that I will. They've come a long way with building stage use vocal condenser microphones!

• Members

I discovered many of those same things several years ago when I bought my first 710. I originally bought is as a podium mike for some of the events I do, it quickly became the "go to" mic like Bill said.

SRP,

Have you compared the 710 to the Shure SM86/87/87Beta condenser mikes?

I'ld like to hear from anyone who's tried both...

Thanks!

UMT

• Members

I have put it up against a Beta 87a. For vocal use I would give the 710 the advantage. Another local sound guy and I tried a simple test each with our backs turned against the other when we tried the mics. No channel EQ on the mixer since we wanted to look at a basic response. We both picked the 710.

• Members

My friends uses ATm 350 clip on condenser mic for his Saxophone. It sounded sweet and 'honest'...meaning it is one of the most 'flat' mics in the market for its size for it does not boost or cut frequencies much.

It captures the original source 'honestly'...if you knwo what I mean.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Is the ATM 710 really that nice? How would it compare to my SM87's? I wouldn't normally be looking at different mics, I use Shure pretty exclusively for vocals, but these are cheap enough that I could pick up a few without spending too much, and it would be nice to have alternatives.

Are they really as nice as you're all saying they are?

• 5 years later...
  • Members

I recently picked up one of these mics as it came up cheap secondhand. I've tried a couple of cheap live condensers (Rode M2 and SE Electronics H1) and wasn't impressed with either.

I have a decent collection of dynamic mics which include Sennheiser E945, E935, E838, Electrovoice n/d767a, JZ Microphones HH1, Shure Beta58 and AKG D5. I've been really pleased with the results I've been getting with these mics especially the E945, n/d767a, E935 and JZ HH1.

I had the opportunity to a/b the ATM710 at a soundcheck a couple of weeks ago and also borrowed a Shure Beta 87a as I've heard good things about this mic. I was able to try the mics on a female mezzo soprano vocalist (soul/country singer) and male tenor (rock singer). The venue was a fairly dead sounding marquee that holds roughly 200 people and the band was a 5 piece (Drums, Bass+vocal, keys and 2 female vocalists) using IEM's.

First we tried the dynamics and our favourites were the Sennheiser E945, EV n/d767a and Sennheiser E838. Next we tried the ATM710 and the first thing we noticed was how high the output of this mic is!! We had to back the gain down by at least 15dB compared to the other mics (all of which have noticeably higher gain the the SM58). Once we backed the gain down we noticed that the ATM710 had a much more open and detailed sound than any of the others with good bass response. Both singers commented on how they preferred the proximity and pickup pattern of the mic.

Next we tried the Beta 87a and found this mic had a similar output to the dynamics we tried. Again this mic sounded way more open and detailed than the dynamics but sounded a little less present than the ATM710 and I guess could be regarded as warmer.

We preferred both condensers over all the dynamics on this gig and we went with the ATM710 for it's extra presence.

At the weekend I had the option to try out the ATM710, Beta87a, E945 and JZ HH1 on a female vocalist/pianist. This was a different gig setting in quite a lively sounding 350 seater hall. The band consisted of keys/vocal, acoustic guitar, bass and acoustic drums. This time the band were using wedge monitors. Whilst the drummer wasn't loud I was surprised at how well both mics coped regarding feedback and bleed. Both mics sounded excellent and ended using the ATM710 again.

From my experience with the ATM710 I'm really surprised not to hear more people talk about this mic! I've been extremely impressed with it so far and will be getting another to add to my collection. After hearing how good the ATM710 is I am keen to try other condensers like Audio Technicas AE5400, Audix VX5 and Rode S1 which are in the similar price bracket.

Archived