• Members

XTIs are 2U each, so at minimum you'll need a 6U rack. They're also not that heavy, so you could go with an ATA style rack case (preferred), or probably one of the molded plastic SKB cases.

What else will you be putting in the rack? That's a big determining factor, too.

The amps are only about 13" deep, so you don't even need an amp-depth rack, really. Plus, since each amp is under 20 pounds, you'll probably still have something lift-able by one person.

This would be the smallest rack I'd consider for it. If you need to be able to have room for a patch panel on the back, go with a 16" depth one.

• Members

+! for the ewi brand rack! i have one for my power amps as well and its sturdy and bullet proof. dont forget your casters...mine didnt come with casters so i grabbed a heavy duty set from home depot and installed them myself. the ewi rack is half the cost of those crappy skb racks (i also own a few of those) and twice the quality...audipile wins again..i wish they made more p.a. gear!:thu:

• Members

I always buy larger than I need, and also...buy used.

I've had a lot of luck purchasing used Anvil, Road Ready, and one EWI case used.

For our amp rig case, we did the same thing you did.

Three amps.

We also put in a power conditionerer so we can plug in the QSC HPR speakers near the amps, and also some other item.

Also, we installed a wood spacer between each amp, so we can get a little more air, to keep the amps from getting too hot. (QSC RMX's)

We are using a 10 space Road Ready case for the amps.

• Members

Leave extra spaces in case you want to put a crossover and hard limiter with the amps. Makes it very easy for running your signals. Just one Main output from your mixer to the crossover, then short jumpers down to the amps, then your speaker cables out. And keeping your amps near your speakers instead of with your mixing board allows for shorter speaker cables and less spaghetti to carry around.

• Members

I am also looking for a new rack for my power amps. I have (1) CS4000 (new), (1) CS2000 (new), (3) PV1500's (new), Crossover, Power Conditioner and would like to throw a Peavey Power Distro in there. What rack would you guys recommend? I could also install the Peavey Power Distro into a seperate rack, because I have not come across many instances where it would be used. I would assume it will be pretty heavy and am not sure if rear rack rails would be recommended......Thanks!

• Members

I am also looking for a new rack for my power amps. I have (1) CS4000 (new), (1) CS2000 (new), (3) PV1500's (new), Crossover, Power Conditioner and would like to throw a Peavey Power Distro in there. What rack would you guys recommend? I could also install the Peavey Power Distro into a seperate rack, because I have not come across many instances where it would be used. I would assume it will be pretty heavy and am not sure if rear rack rails would be recommended......Thanks!

A hernia belt... tha's going to be one hell of a heavy rack.

• Members

A hernia belt... tha's going to be one hell of a heavy rack.

Agedhorse is right.

We had a similar set-up prior to the move to powered speakers.

We had 5 QSC RMX's, power conditioner, and a couple of EQ's and

compressors in a 16 space Road-Ready case.

We called it "The Beast"

It was a "Hernia in a box"

To load and unload, we needed four people.

• Members

Great points.....I think I may just go with two (6U) seperate SKB cases, then a seperate one for the Peavey Power Distro.

How will the two cases handle being stacked, loaded with power amps?

Thanks!

You know, if it was me, I would not use SKB cases for the amps.

I would stick to the Anvil/Road Ready/EWI cases.

They are just more sturdy. As far as stacking mine have the ball corners,

and the bottom ball corners have divits in them so they match up to the case below.

SKB boxes have the same thing. The top of the box has a male protrusion that mates up to the bottom of another SKB box. They pretty much lock into place.

• Members

we jsut unloaded our set of MX1500 ..

at one point we had 6 of those things ... and at 65 lbs each ...... welll you do the math.

now we have XTI for the monitors, and are looking in to what we will use for FOH.

Likely QSC, plx or powerlite.

Our XTI rack is 3 4000's and 3 1000's with a 30 amp (single phase) distro.

• Members

Keep this in mind, the handles on an EWI / Audiopile rack (and almost all "real" cases/trunks) are MUCH, MUCH better than SKB. ...especially if you are not planning for casters. Then that brings me to the caster option for SKB. That is a poor excuse for actual useability.

When I first started out, SKB was "cool" (new). But I started selling them off as quickly as I could due to these issues.

At my level (club/small festival), EWI is the brand I buy - and the brand I suggest that you start with. They have many great products at very reasonable prices.

Archived