Bose L1 & model 2

• Members

Been researching these simple cylinder pa systems, and from what I've read they sound amazing. But pricey! Man oh man, I'd love to do away with lugging the fronts & monitors around and set up these things, but I've never seen or heard one in person.

I've got a 4 piece band (guitar, keys, bass, drums) and don't know if I'd have to have 2 separate systems or what - if so, should be very expensive.

Anyone know about these things?

Thx

• Members

Keep researching and, by all means, make sure you get to hear them with a band similar to yours in an environment that is typical to yours, before you buy. A lot of folks trash them, I think they have a place..but would not be a fit for my five piece R&R band that plays to crowds of 250 outside sometimes.

• Members

Been researching these simple cylinder pa systems, and from what I've read they sound amazing. But pricey! Man oh man, I'd love to do away with lugging the fronts & monitors around and set up these things, but I've never seen or heard one in person.

I've got a 4 piece band (guitar, keys, bass, drums) and don't know if I'd have to have 2 separate systems or what - if so, should be very expensive.

Thx

I heard a guy use one of the bose systems in a folk/ country type gig with a drummer, bass player and lead player and the singer on a flat top. It was ok. It didnt sound as good as the JBL eons...that most of the other bands that play that same venue. The backing band that backed the guy is the same guys i played with in a backing band ,for another guy.., so it was a pretty good A/B I didnt play that gig,, but was there. I doubt that I could have plugged into the board like i always did with the enons with my keyboard. It did look like an easy load in and out though.

• Members

I have a System II and I love it. Easy to pack around, but we all know that. I have run two mics, a keyboard and two guitars through it in a small venue. It sounded wonderful. All the musicians loved it.

Monitors are not needed with this system. Also, it can get VERY loud for larger venues.

Grand total on the basic L1 System II is about $3,000 which includes the Tone Match Audio Engine that is really needed. The tone engine has 5 inputs and an unbelievable set of adjustable parameters. Really cool.

How appropriate this system is for you depends on lots of things. I love it for solo and small group work, both inside and outside.

• Members

I have a System II and I love it. Easy to pack around, but we all know that. I have run two mics, a keyboard and two guitars through it in a small venue. It sounded wonderful. All the musicians loved it.

Monitors are not needed with this system. Also, it can get VERY loud for larger venues.

Grand total on the basic L1 System II is about $3,000 which includes the Tone Match Audio Engine that is really needed. The tone engine has 5 inputs and an unbelievable set of adjustable parameters. Really cool.

How appropriate this system is for you depends on lots of things. I love it for solo and small group work, both inside and outside.

Do you think just one unit would function for a 4 piece band ?

check some vids at -

http://youtube.com/niteshadowband

Thx

• Members

Do you think just one unit would function for a 4 piece band

Definately NO. I have the model II with two subs. Its great for my solo stuff and duo work. It can get relatively loud but I have been undergunned at this past years Saint Patty gig and had to add an external powered speaker.

Saw a trio play with threee poles and they were very loud, the venue was a medium outdoor gig.

I really like my BOSE, but I would not base purchasing a PA for a 4 piece band on how easy the gear is to move.

• Members

How well does it handle a 26" diameter Kick drum? Can it reproduce that sound at chest pounding levels?

I'm serious - how will this system work for a Death Metal band that is tuned down to Bb?

• Members

How well does it handle a 26" diameter Kick drum? Can it reproduce that sound at chest pounding levels?

I'm serious - how will this system work for a Death Metal band that is tuned down to Bb?

If you want chest pounding levels, you'll need large subs, and preferably lots of them. The B1 bass modules are not designed for that, but you can certainly add 3rd party subs to a Bose system.

Whether this is the right choice for you depends on your application (smusic style, Venues) and what you care about in your live sound: clarity, spectral balance, vocal intelligibility, ease-of-use, setup & transportation, spatial separation, overall SPL, amount of bass, etc.

• Members

Who thought that feeling the kick drum hitting you in the chest was something most people would choose? I personally hate it and next time I run into it at a concert, I'm demanding my money back! (And I don't think that the Bose system would be suitable for a modern heavy metal band.)

• CMS Author

Thx

All systems are a compromise of one sort or another. If you need a system that sounds good, is VERY compact, and sets up quickly, with acceptable downside of being somewhat more expensive and not suitable for the hardest genre or large venues, then the Bose may be for you. If you have a lot of inputs, and need pounding kick, you'll need to use 3rd party subs and a mixer, so that's a tradeoff to the portability advantage.

But don't take our advice as final word. Try EVERYTHING you can, ask more questions if needed, and then take time off. Then make a decision based on facts and your personally-learned opinions.

• Members

Who thought that feeling the kick drum hitting you in the chest was something most people would choose? I personally hate it

Its not what I do either, but I don't hate it at all. If you are out at a club there needs to be that "thump". Esp. if you want to get people up consistantly to dance, or you play hardcore rock/metal/whatever you may call it.

• Members

All systems are a compromise of one sort or another. If you need a system that sounds good, is VERY compact, and sets up quickly, with acceptable downside of being somewhat more expensive and not suitable for the hardest genre or large venues, then the Bose may be for you. If you have a lot of inputs, and need pounding kick, you'll need to use 3rd party subs and a mixer, so that's a tradeoff to the portability advantage.

But don't take our advice as final word. Try EVERYTHING you can, ask more questions if needed, and then take time off. Then make a decision based on facts and your personally-learned opinions.

/agreed

Basically, lower volume, quick setup, less inputs... Bose wins.

But for all else, pickup a standard PA.

Also, very wise advice to LISTEN TO EVERYTHING before you buy. You might just find yourself a great sounding system that's also compact.

(1) KV2 EX2.2 subwoofer with (2) 10" Powered Tops of your Taste might be an even better choice, since you can go low volume, then push them for higher volume applications when needed. Or even just use the tops when needed.

Sure would beat having to go back in the future to buy another setup because the Bose can't sustain the SPL you need for bigger venues!

We ran a smaller setup @ a tent wedding on Saturday night. We used 1 HPR181i sub with 2 K10 tops... and it was perfect. Able to play low volume pre-recorded music during dinner, then rocked out during the dance party band & dj sets.

Archived