From bad to worse...a monitor tale

• Members

Festival ..outdoor... 3 bands per night...

Alright, Friday night was going great!! FOH was clean. We had a little hum in the monitor mix but switched a cable and it cleaned right up. 930pm it starts drizzling..forecast shows it is clearing and it does. Then out of nowhere rain...well these are local guys and they do not stop...we get out the tarps and cover up all we can...then we lose monitors...they keep playing...we start to shut down and the organizer says no we are not...I asked if the festival insurance will cover my equipment failures ...she says yes...show on! While they are plaing it stops raining (total rain 25 minutes) and we get all monitor world removed ...turn in the mains. show ends and pack up..

Saturday..set up is smooth..no noise FOH, monitors set up quickly..then the noise begins...three wedges are shredded. Quick speaker replacement and done!! We decide to try to get at least 1 clean mix from foh to see if it will work.

I pull power from a store front. Grab an amp from the truck that has not been used this show (I know it worked), run a line from the snake and have everything ready for the move......BRIDGE!! Move to the new mix....NOISE!!...What the hell!!! We finally turn in the mains and call it a night...

After the show the band is supper cool about it (they realized we were workin our tails off trying to get it together...The only mix we had no probs with was the 1 IE for Keys....

wow...what the hell?

• Members

You sound completely scrambled... I can't make heads nor tails out of your OP... which is understandable after a bad weekend.

Let's try this again Monday... after some sleep, ok?

Thats what I'm sayin!! in a nutshell:

2 day gig...rain on the first night..monitor rig gets wet...

day 2...headliner sound check is good......1st band goes on and the trouble begins....buzz in the drum mix..(5)...buzz in mix 3....reroute and get them the mix from center stage...(1) so they can at least hear something...then mix 2 gets unbearable......once again the drum wedge starts buzzing...he wants it off...now we are down to the front 2 wedges and having to turn them down between songs due to the buzz...finally it is just too much...and we turn in the mains so they can at least hear the vox...

• Members

So you wanted to shut it down Friday night because of rain but the event organizer said keep going, thereby risking Saturday night's show and a large repair bill from you to squeeze a little more show out of Friday night? That seems like the smart thing to do.

I don't really know how insurance works for an event like that but does insurance usually pay out for that sort of thing? I thought they were generally loathe to cover a 3rd party's equipment, and what's she going to tell the adjuster when he asks what precautions did she take when rain was imminent? Um, I told them to keep going? Their budget committee isn't gong to be happy if they have to come out of pocket for that.

Sounds like a crappy weekend. Maybe everything'll be OK after it dries out - good luck.

• Members

IMO, there's no way the insurance company is paying for that. Insurance companies do all they can not to pay out and this seems like a clear cut case of negligence from all parties involved. I certainly wouldn't trust anyone telling me this on the fly. For me it's, "Sorry folks, you didn't provide adequate protection from the elements so this show is over". I would hope your contract clearly states you have the right to do this.

Archived