Just a few questions about Presonus LiveStudio

• Members

Hey yall...

Never used digital mixers before and hate carrying a rack around, so...

1 - Still need a crossover if I buy this?

2 - Still need EQ's for my monitors?

Please tell me this board does it all and I can sell my entire rack if I buy it.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

I don't know if you can buss EQs to the AUX, and even if you can they will probably be sweep type EQ, not 31 band. I don't know how handy that would be for monitors.

X-over would still be needed.

compressors, delay, verb, and sweep EQ per channel are built in.

• Members

Hi, I don't have a studiolive yet, but from what I have seen and read:

1) It has no active crossover. It does have HPF but not a LPF. (the HPF is available on aux sends or any individual channel)

2) There is a 4 band semi-parametric eq for all channels, sungroups, auxes, etc. There is also a 31 band eq for the mains, BUT NOT for the monitors. I really wish they would at least make the 31 band eq selectable to mains OR monitors. However, the semi parametric eq is very powerful and really works well.

Hopes this helps

Pax

• Members

(the HPF is available on aux sends ...

Pretty sure that isn't true as I told them I'd buy one if they "fixed" that and they never even bothered to respond. For some bizarre reason known only to them they purposely defeated it on the outputs.

To quote the latest manual V1.10:

"The high-pass filter is only available on the 16 channels of the input bus."

Now the Aux Sends are post HPF post Gate on the channels so maybe that's what you were thinkin'?

• Members
There is also a 31 band eq for the mains, BUT NOT for the monitors. I really wish they would at least make the 31 band eq selectable to mains OR monitors.

They copied the Peavey FX series hybrid mixers in this. At least it is possible for them to come to their senses and "fix" this in software. The Peavey is hard wired that way and to add further frustration the Peavey has the internal "Feedback Ferret" on the mains and not on the monitor outs :eek:.

• Members

I own and use this board 1-2 times per week. If you have decent speakers the 4 band on board EQ is fine. It's all I use and have zero problems. Don't forget the board also has downward expander/gates (selectable as one or the other in channel pairs). Set as a downward expander and you get a lot more gain before feeback. Just don't go nuts with your compressors.

Frankly, I have an easier time using the parametrics versus a 31 band for monitors. You can take the EQ down like 6 - 8 db and slide the frequencies until the problem goes away, then bump the EQ back up until you've struck a balance of the problem gone with the least amount of attenuation.

• Members

I read there was a 31 band EQ upgrade now .

Only on the mains, not monitors. There isn't enough processing power to put it on the monitors. Since it's in a menu, it would harder to get to anyway. Just speculation, but my guess is most of the additional upgrades to the firmware will be things like routing options and other small tweaks that don't take up processing power. The mixer has a limited amount of processing and they don't want to push it to the ragged edge. I would love to see HPF on the auxes though. It's a shame they left that out.

It would be cool that, with the processing power that's left, they would offer all other upgrades as plug ins. This way each user could tailer the board to their needs - differnt effects, EQ "Q" parameters, HPF, LPF, etc could be mixed and matched.

• Members

Set as a downward expander and you get a lot more gain before feeback. .

Only when it shuts down a mic. The second you sing into it all bets are off. So not a bad thing to do ... but I wouldn't expect much benefit.

• Members

Only when it shuts down a mic. The second you sing into it all bets are off. So not a bad thing to do ... but I wouldn't expect much benefit.

I know you know waaaaaaaaaaaaay more about this stuff than I do, but I'm going to have to disagree. I get that theoretically it's case, but I can tell you from using the board many times, it makes a substantial difference. I've turned them off before while messing around with the board and forgotten to turn them back on and couldn't figure out why my monitor sounded awful and I was getting feedback. At the push of a button it was all better. Sure, if you have the system set up completely wrong to where there's raging feedback all the time, then it can only do so much, but as long as the feedback loop doesn't start right away and loudly it doesn't have a chance to bloom.

One of the meter bridge modes is the gain reduction. I use it during sound check and once or twice during the show to make sure there is still some attenuation on the mics, even in the loud parts, as long as people aren't singing into them (and they only sing maybe 5% of the entire night so I have them clamped down pretty good).

There's a particular venue that we play where one of the mains has to be turned in pretty severely to hit the crowd. It's a balancing act between getting it where it needs to be and the sound coming onto the stage. The downward expanders really helped with that a lot.

Archived