EWI Premium guitar cable compared to Mogami 2524

• Members

I do not know the exact cords you are referring to, but I have been very happy with all of the EWI cables I have ever bought, and I have bought something like maybe 50 or more of them. The quality does improve somewhat with the higher end products, but even the regular stuff is very nice.

• Members

It's all about the cooper used for cables some use zinc and cooper other use recycled cooper some use pure cooper I'm pure sure Audiopile is 100% pure cooper. I think that the end connectors nutric and the jacket is what makes the price difference. As AH posted you won't hear noticeable difference until you get into how long of a cable run you have. It's one reason I have different length's of cable runs the shorter the better IMO.

• Members
I got a 30ft one of these and I'll put it up against any "high priced piece of junk that cost twice as much for only 2/3's the length" an day. Best $15 I ever spent.
;)

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Mic_Instr_Cables/UCGP-TW/GBAD/GBAD_cutsheet.shtml

I agree. I bought six, I showed one of them to my son ,which had just ordered a 16 ch. 8 return snake from mark, now he is going to order the guitar chords.

• Members

thanks- any more info out there?

calling Mark?

Well, I believe the Mogami W2524 is a spirial shield cable, while the EWI Starline instrument cable is braided shield. I believe the Mogami W2524 is constructed with a 20ga. center conductor, while the EWI Starline instrument cable is constructed with a 22ga. center conductor. I believe both cables are similarily constructed with a conductive PVC layer unlying the shield.

• Members

Well, I believe the Mogami W2524 is a spirial shield cable, while the EWI Starline instrument cable is braided shield. I believe the Mogami W2524 is constructed with a 20ga. center conductor, while the EWI Starline instrument cable is constructed with a 22ga. center conductor. I believe both cables are similarily constructed with a conductive PVC layer unlying the shield.

^ thanks for the info Mark- are you talking about the Premium or the Starline?...I was interested in the Premium (bulk) and how it measures up...isn't the Premium the highest quality guitar cable you have?

• Members

^ thanks for the info Mark- are you talking about the Premium or the Starline?...I was interested in the Premium (bulk) and how it measures up...isn't the Premium the highest quality guitar cable you have?

Sorry... I was thinking one thing and typing something else.

Yes, the EWI PCS-2560 Premium instrument cable is the highest quality guitar cable we stock.

The PCS-2560 Premium is similar to the Starline instrument cable, but the PCS-2560 is a constructed with a tinned annealed copper 98% percent coverage braid shield, where-as the Starline instrument cable is constructed with a straight (untinned) annealed copper 95% percent coverage braid shield. The PCS-2560's outer jacket is constructed with SRN PVC, while the Starline is constructed with HFI PVC. The OD of the PCS-2560 is approx. 0.240" and the OD of the Starline is approx. 0.255".

Therefore, the PCS-2560 has better shielding properties than the Starline instrument cable, and the PCS-2560 is more durable than the Starline, however, the Starline is a little more flexible and is a little easier to assemble ends on since the braid of the Starline can be unbraided and terminated easier than the braid of the PCS-2560. I'd suggest the Starline cable if you're making up a bunch of short pedalboard patch cables. I recommend the Premium series for wiring to the performer's instruments.

• Members

I've been using the Starline series cables year 2 now with no probs. Also I beleive Mark was involved in a cable shootout awhile back maybe some body can dig up the results. If I not mistaken his cable rank pretty high. :thu:

• Members

I've been using the Starline series cables year 2 now with no probs. Also I beleive Mark was involved in a cable shootout awhile back maybe some body can dig up the results. If I not mistaken his cable rank pretty high.
:thu:

uh... I believe the results are somewhere in here (good luck):

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1746426&highlight=cable+shootout

I don't know if they actually used the guitar cable(s) I sent them, but I believe they used an EWI speaker cable somewhere in the testing.

• Members

I would not expect any audible differences in a real ABx double blind test.

Both are good cable, the premium may be a little more mechanically stouter and the RFI shielding maybe a bit better but only an issue in a VERY high RF environment. That's less than 1% of the users here. Probably less than 0.1%.

• Members

I play a passive Jazz and keep my cable length to 15' or less. A longer cable can load up the pickups on the Jazz.

One of Mark's 15' cables is in my case as my backup cable because the CBI cable that gets used doesn't kink up on stage like the EWI unit does.

• Members

define premium. Is there a standard? Aren't you making an awfully big deal out of this?

^ "Premium" is what Audiopile call their best instrument cable..."Starline" is the lesser (if there is one)

"Aren't you making an awfully big deal out of this?"- I want to make some cables and have a set amount of money to do so...if it's a big deal to learn about cables, to be an informed musician/consumer and wanting to get the best bang for my buck?...then yes, I'm making a big deal-

Archived