SD Condenser mics

• Members

OK this thread addresses two subjects.

1) I just bought a PVM 480 mic on Ebay for under $50. Other reviews were mostly good to great but I trust you guys so what do you think? does anyone use one of these. I never thought Peavey made any good mics but a lot of people seemed to rave about these so let me know what you think (I'll know for sure when I get in a week or so). In the mean time any application ideas would be appreciated.

2) I have a pretty healthy collection of AKG 451e's and Octave 012 mics. I just bought another 451EB preamp body (no capsule) and an idea came to me. Would there be any market for a range of adapters for using various multi capsule sdc's on different manufacturers mic bodies? Each manufacturer seems to make their mic body and caps proprietary but I know that electricly they are similar and could often be sucessfuly intermingled with a simple apropriate threaded adapter (I know because I've already sucessfuly made a rough prototype and tried it and it works great). This would provide for a much wider range of tonal characteristics and could greatly increase the usefulness and options of already owned mic systems. I'm just feeling out the idea of getting some fine thread taps and dies and machining down some brass tubing, adding an insulated spring center pin, and seeing if I could sell a few. The only adapters I know of are the 451e to bayonet style for some high end mics (Redlue, Schoeps and Neumann). does anybody think this is feasable and is it marketable? I don't expect to sell a million units but my investment could be pretty minimal. Manufacturers that I know of that make (or have made) multi capsule SDCs are: AKG, Beyer, Senheiser, Shure, Oktava, Rode, MXL, Lomo, RTF, Gefell, Schoeps & Neumann. There may be others - I'm just starting to research what might be the most common and compatable ones. Any ideas would also be appreciated.

Thanks

• Members

I picked one of these up for like $20 on ebay about 10 years ago. Not a bad little mic at all. Just gets overlooked because it's Peavey. I use this on snare drums sometimes with great results. For the price who cares if it gets beat up. It's not great on snare drum pounders but for nice wood snare drums and a little finesse this is good fit. Haven't really used it on much else.

• Members

Regarding the 451 adapter idea, I think it has some merit, but I'm not sure of the marketability. Does the 451 pre-amp/body sound any better than the pre-amp on say a Neumann KM184 or a Shure SM81? For ease of use in the field, I would rather have each mic in it's entirety than 3 capsules and a body.

I have several 451's and several different CK capsules to go with them. It's rare I use anything other than the standard CK1 unless I'm using the CK8's as shotgun mics for a play or something, and that's only if I'm out of AKG 568's which are a better shotgun IMO.

• Members

Regarding the 451 adapter idea, I think it has some merit, but I'm not sure of the marketability. Does the 451 pre-amp/body sound any better than the pre-amp on say a Neumann KM184 or a Shure SM81? For ease of use in the field, I would rather have each mic in it's entirety than 3 capsules and a body.

I have several 451's and several different CK capsules to go with them. It's rare I use anything other than the standard CK1 unless I'm using the CK8's as shotgun mics for a play or something, and that's only if I'm out of AKG 568's which are a better shotgun IMO.

I'd agree that 95% of the time I use a cardioid pattern mic but I of course do choose different mics for different purposes. The thing that this would offer would be differing tonal characteristics. I know the Octave capsule sounded MUCH different on the AKG body than it's own native one. It actualy sounded great (not lacking in high end but with a bit more of a bottom bump). I do like having a lot of different tonal possibilities available when providing a sound service (be it SR or recording). It's the fact that the electrical characteristics are similar but not exactly alike that makes for the sonic differences.

That is the 6 million dollar question. Is it marketable? I wouldn't expect to sell more than maybe a dozen units per year but I figure That once I sell a couple of units of any given adapter (I'm thinking a price between $50 and $70 each) I would have paid for my tools (taps, dies and brass tubing isn't really all that expensive (and of course I'd try to make them as much out of "off the shelf" parts as possible to keep the machining to a minimum (I don't own a lathe))).

I know It sounds like I'm just trying to talk myself into this but your opinion does matter (at this point - one vote Nay).

Thanks for the feedback.

• Members

After thinking about it a bit. I think that I probably won't do this as any kind of business venture. Mostly because of the liabilities vs gain involved. Ever since common sense has left us and lawyers rule the world, there is no place for a shoestring business.

I'll still probably make a few adapters for myself and I'll report back as to their effectivnes.

Archived